"pooping" egg yolk??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MoonAngel12, Sep 10, 2011.

1. MoonAngel12

MoonAngel12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Central NC
    I have 5 two year old hens - 2 RIRs and 3 BSLs. I am pretty sure at this point the 2 RIRs are the only ones laying - at least in the nesting boxes. I found one broody BSL with 11 eggs under her, and another BSL cuddled up with her... not sure if one or both were broody at that point. I have also watched one come and go in the cow pasture so I am wondering if she is laying out there somewhere. No idea. Anyway, I went out one day last week and it looked like one of them (no idea which one) had pooped egg yolk. It was the same bright yellow/orange underneath their roosting area. I have heard that sometimes hens can have shell-less eggs - could that be it? Or something else? Not sure if there was a white with it since it was pretty much dry by that point (streaked down a slope, not on a flat surface).

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:Yes, I could be a few things. A shellless egg, egg eating, or maybe an egg broke inside her. If there are no other signs; I'd go with the first option.

Imp- Good luck

3. ChickenGirl165

ChickenGirl165 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    Melbourne
    It may have broken an egg. This happened to me and ive seen it. My hen, Bubbles was walking slowly towards us as if something bothered her, suddenly i saw her poo egg yolk. at first i thought it was cecal poo but then when i looked closer it was indeed egg yolk. I looked at her bottom and the soft egg shell was still stuck in her butt. i gently removed it and cleaned away the egg. It helped me clean by eating the shell! Good chicken. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by