Pooping in nesting boxes

Aug 13, 2022
I have 2 silkies that don't sleep on the roost at night and they constantly poop in the nesting boxes. Some of the other hens won't use the roost so they just roost on top. I am going to fix that problem by putting a slanted surface on top of the nesting boxes. But how can I fix the problem of dirty nesting boxes?

I covered mine up till all were on roost then uncovered once they all settled down and it's pitch dark in there.
PS I like the slant idea to train all to roost.
Are roosts higher than nest box?
What are roosts made of?

O crap did I mess up? The roost have 3 different levels. The newest hens roost on the bars. Maybe I didn't do this correctly. The bottom roost is a little lower if not equal than the nesting boxes.

Attachments

• PXL_20220821_004931574.jpg
    PXL_20220821_004931574.jpg
    398.7 KB · Views: 13
I have 2 silkies that don't sleep on the roost at night and they constantly poop in the nesting boxes. Some of the other hens won't use the roost so they just roost on top. I am going to fix that problem by putting a slanted surface on top of the nesting boxes. But how can I fix the problem of dirty nesting boxes?

I buy nesting pads for the roosting boxes. When the chickens poop on the pads, you can shake it off and put the pad back. Mine last for a couple of months before I put a new one in.

O crap did I mess up? The roost have 3 different levels. The newest hens roost on the bars. Maybe I didn't do this correctly. The bottom roost is a little lower if not equal than the nesting boxes.
Those boards are really narrow for them to roost on. Chickens don’t grab with their feet and perch like some birds. They actually lay on their feet. Can you flip the roost so the are flat instead of on edge?

Those boards are really narrow for them to roost on. Chickens don’t grab with their feet and perch like some birds. They actually lay on their feet. Can you flip the roost so the are flat instead of on edge?
Of course yes. I am working in the garden tomorrow and can fix that easy. I will post a picture once it's done. Thank you

Back
Top Bottom