Pooping in the dust bath

MimiChick

Songster
10 Years
Apr 8, 2009
Glocester, RI
I have 3 chickens that I have to leave in their run (4x8) on the 3 days I work outside the home. I have a kitty litter pan for a dust bath for them (sand, dirt, DE, wood ashes). So far the only thing they seem to be using it for is to poop:/. I scoop it with a litter scooper, but I'm wondering... Will they use it to dust bathe in if they've pooped in it? What can I do to keep the poop out? On most other days they free range a lot, but in the winter I'm sure they'll spend a lot more time in the run. Any suggestions/comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

It is possible it's not big enough for them. A lot of chickens want a fair good bit of room for dustbathing, like the size of one of the biggest under-the-bed storage boxes, you know?

I have not noticed my chickens caring much about poo in their dustbathing locations, although come to think of it they don't seem TO poop there much either. You can always use a catbox scoop or a rake to clean it out.

Good lcuk,

Pat

I put a little pan of play sand w/DE in for my chicks. Actually, I have a small indoor one, and a larger outdoor one. They do poop in it sometimes, but that doesn't stop them from rolling around in it like pigs in mud.
tongue.png
Like you, I just scoop it out. I guess chickens, like most birds, just poop indiscriminately....

My chickens poop in everything, everywhere, all the time. They even perch on top of the feeder and poop on it. I rake out their dust bath area because it grosses me out that they'd roll in it when it's full of poop, but they don't seem to care either way.
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom