Pooping in their water!

kaylakala

Songster
11 Years
Mar 19, 2008
Melbourne Florida
I got one of those watering things from the feed store where I got m chicks.

It's a plactic bottle turned upside down into a circle tray and they keep pooping in it!!

I was also told they don't need grit yet.

Last edited:
No, they do not need grit yet. You could prop the waterer up with book to keep them from using it as a potty. Just make sure that they can still reach it.

Duhhh that should have been obvious.

LOL I'll bet that's a first for that question!

roll.png

Actually, we learn through our mistakes. As they grow, you will want to raise both the feed and water up, just not out of reach. It helps keep them clean. Good Luck, we have all been where you are right now.
wee.gif

big_smile.png
Your question wasn't dumb to me at all I learned something new as a matter of fact I am going to go raise my waterer right now
big_smile.png

try a rabbit water bottle..........in addition to the other one..........i only have 3 chicks and they use one..............with 15 you might try more........anyway, mine use it and love it and i have the peace of mind of knowing they always have fresh clean water.

As my chicks grow (they are 3 weeks now), I raised the waterer. First I put a 4"x4" piece of plywood underneath to raise it. Then I replaced the plywood with a scrap piece of 4"x4" 2x4. That lifted it enough above the shavings (the lip is still a hair lower than their neckline) that it stays pretty clean.

* My waterers for my grown hen are cut-down plastic bottles (empty vinegar bottles.). My goofy girl will ALWAYS climb the edge and try to roost on the bent plastic for the night. I have to move her to her real roost all the time. . . What is it with these birds and wanting to poop in their water???

LOL That is just too funny it sounds like she will go out of her way to poop in her water!!
barnie.gif

I like the idea of cutting out the side of a plastic bottle!

Back
Top Bottom