Pooping strange

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jgcalifornia, Mar 1, 2014.

1. jgcalifornia

jgcalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    My Black Australorp, Astro, has been a little off.
    She is refusing sunflower seeds, which is crazy for her, because she is the first one up in the morning to beg for them. Ive managed to get her to eat corn, small bits of pumpkin and some greens, that's all shes interested in.
    Astro is normally very active, a great egg producer and very healthy.

I dont know what is going on with her.

Appreciate any thoughts.

Sorry for the graphic pic...

[​IMG]

2. ChickenMack

ChickenMack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    What does her crop feel like? If she hasn't been eating, you shouldn't be able to feel it but if it feels firm and full, she has a "stuck" crop. That might explain her not wanting to eat and funky poo. There are several ways to help this, here is what I have done when faced with a stuck crop- Use a dropper or syringe and drop some warm oil, mineral to olive would work, and massage the crop. This should get things moving. A stuck crop could be a bacterial problem and I have found feeding my hen plain yogurt with some feed mixed in for a week seems to work to clear it up. But first, isolate her from the others and make sure she has plenty of water.

Also, here on BYC, there are lots of threads on stuck crops. Good luck!

3. jgcalifornia

Sep 18, 2012
    Thanks for the info.
    Do you think its a stuck crop?
    I was leaning towards egg yolk peritonitis.

She hasn't been eating her regular food, or interested. I've been able to get her to eat corn, some greens and little pumpkin.
    I am able to feel her crop, and it does feel full.

..and if shes not interested in the yogurt?

thanks for the help!

4. floridapoultry

floridapoultry Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2011
    Hard to tell from just looking at the droppings. Hopefully it's just a temporary thing. We've had individual birds being a little off and they have come back to normal in a few days. It's encouraging that she is still eating some items. How long has she been since you noticed things weren't quite normal?

5. ChickenMack

Oct 7, 2011
    It could be perotinitus, I don't know for sure, but if she has eaten little and her crop is full, that is a sure sign. It is also called sour crop. If you can smell her breath by prying her beak apart (yes, I have done it), you will be able to smell a little bit of a sour smell. A little oil should get things down. If she doesn't like the plain yogurt, mix it with the things she likes like the pumpkin and greens or sunflower seeds. The bacteria in the yogurt will help. Have you felt her abdomen for distention? How does her comb look?

6. jgcalifornia

Sep 18, 2012
    Today is day 7.

7. jgcalifornia

Sep 18, 2012
    Shes no longer interested in pumpkin. The noon-interest in Sunflower seeds was the first sign something was wrong. She will normally throw you under a bus to get to her sunflower seeds.
    I got her to eat some chrysanthemum and corn, so far that's it.

Mineral OIl? Should I warm it?
    what kind of yogurt?

thank you guys!

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Extremely yellow or yellow green runny poop can be a sign of egg yolk peritonitis, cecal worms (that can cause blackhead), and E.Coli infection. There is not much you can do for EYP other than to try antibiotics and make her as comfortable as possible, but if you get her poop checked by a vet for the heterakis gallinarium (or cecal worms) and E.Coli, you might possibly be able to treat with high doses of wormer and metronidazole for cecal worms, or antibiotics for the E.coli. Of course this is all guess work unless a vet can check it out.

9. ChickenMack

Oct 7, 2011
    So basically, she doesn't feel good. If you can get her crop emptied and put her in a quiet, calm place and make food and water accessible, she will start to feel better and eat but it may take a day or so, I liken a sour crop to an upset stomach for us. If she has eyp, she will go downhill very quickly, if she has a sour crop, she will not be herself but she won't be as sick. You don't have to warm the oil but I do just to make a bit more easy to get down her gullet. Make sure you massage the crop after you give her the oil, this seems to get the crop working again. If she fasts for a day, she will be fine because whatever she eats now is getting stuck in her throat and I'm going to guess is not comfortable. Her poo is not going to be solid because there hasn't been any food getting into her system to form it, get that food moving and she will start to come back.

10. jgcalifornia

Sep 18, 2012
    So the last few days we've been doing Duramycin-10 along with some vitamins and electrolytes. Her appetite has significantly improved, but her poop is still weird.
    Attached a pic of today's.

Thank you for all of your input...it is appreciated.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by