Pooping water and bubbles, help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickmamat, May 17, 2018.

1. chickmamat

chickmamat Chirping

Apr 3, 2018
    California Desert
    2C91B702-691F-427B-8FCC-24C65B6C670F.jpeg 583923CB-B155-4D09-8D6B-1F4A7EF0F4FA.jpeg i have an 9ish week old pullet who I noticed pooped a small little watery pile mostly bubbles. It seemed odd so I watched to see her next poop, which was a giant puddle of water with a small amount of green and white. I have included photos.

I just noticed it this morning. I haven’t noticed any others doing the same.

She is acting fine.

I’ve read it could be because she is hot or just drank a lot of water. But they’ve been in the coop all night and I just let them out. It’s still below 70 right now and they aren’t in the sun.

2. gator75

gator75 Songster

Aug 25, 2012
    I have 4 pullets, they all have differen't poops and all poop the normal brown/white sometimes, too. One poops stinky liquid light brown often. They are having a good time, eating, and growing up fast so don't ever think much about it being a problem.

chickmamat likes this.
  3. chickmamat

chickmamat Chirping

Apr 3, 2018
    California Desert
    A214C119-A2FA-4CF7-84EA-5E8D06545FE7.jpeg If there is something wrong with a chicken their poop can be a good indicator. It’s just hard because some can be normal and also be that way if something is wrong.

She pooped 3 more times like that. And then one that looked much more normal just now:

4. Ducksandchickens

Ducksandchickens Crowing

Apr 24, 2018
    Allen county ohio
    My hens poop differently during the day and they are fine! I don’t think you have anything to worry about unless she starts acting weird!

chickmamat likes this.
  5. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Free Ranging

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    What are you feeding her?

I would monitor her poop for the next few days and watch her behavior. Any signs of lethargy, not eating/drinking, etc. I would investigate further.

Ducksandchickens likes this.
  6. chickmamat

chickmamat Chirping

Apr 3, 2018
    California Desert
    Swanson All Narural poultry feed. They’ve eaten it the whole time I’ve had them. They also free range in my yard. Lots of weeds, and they like to munch on the grape vine leaves. They also had some strawberry tops yesterday. But not much.

7. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Free Ranging

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm not familiar with that brand of feed, do you have a photo of the bag and more importantly, the ingredient/analysis tag?

8. chickmamat

chickmamat Chirping

Apr 3, 2018
    California Desert
    image.jpg

Ducksandchickens and Wyorp Rock like this.
  9. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Free Ranging

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Thank you for posting the tag. Does this feed have feeding instructions for specific age groups or does it state to be fed to chicks?

I am not a nutritionist, but in my opinion, the 25% protein is a bit high and the calcium is too. The extra protein may be the cause of the runny poop. Most chick starters or all flock feeds range 18-20% protein. There are 2 calcium listed, I don't know why, but it's on all feed bags I have ever looked at. The 1st one usually ranges .75 - .90% the 2nd ranges 1.25 -1.4%. Even though chicks do need calcium, excess amounts too early can damage kidneys.

You may want to do some research and see if you can find a feed that is formulated for chicks.

Cayuga momma likes this.
  10. chickmamat

chickmamat Chirping

Apr 3, 2018
    California Desert
    After more investigation I realized they sold me game and turkey starter not chick starter. I went and got actual chick starter/grower right away and have them on that now.

Thank you for all the help! I never would have realized the issue with their food. I am a little concerned though because they’ve been on it for two months.

Wyorp Rock likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by