Pooping water

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Erin80, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Erin80

Erin80 Songster

Apr 16, 2017
    All 5 of my 12 week old barred rock pullets are pooping water mixed with a bit of solid poop every few minutes. There is no blood in anyone's poop. I'm worried about them, and I'm worried about putting them in the coop tonight with the younger birds (even though they are sectioned off).

2. Fire Ant Farm

Fire Ant Farm Get off my lawn

May 5, 2015
    South Texas
    Where do you live, and how hot is it?

While it could be a number of things, this time of year if it's really hot, and if they are drinking a lot of water, mine have very watery poops.

Wyorp Rock and getaclue like this.
  3. Erin80

Erin80 Songster

Apr 16, 2017
    Ontario Canada and it hasn't been overly hot.....however they did eat a bunch of watermelon.......

4. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

It's the water and the watermelon...:frow

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  5. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi @Erin80

I tend to agree with the others, in warm weather poop can be looser and more watery.

Wet treats like watermelon will make a looser stool, so most likely this is what you are seeing.

If you start to see any other problems - lethargy, going off feed, poop with mucous or blood, then let us know.

You can post some photos of what you are seeing now and of course of your sweet birds - we will be happy to take a look at them:)

chickens really likes this.
  6. Erin80

Erin80 Songster

Apr 16, 2017
    They seem to be all back to normal today.....no more water poop...looks like it was the watermelon! Thanks everyone!!

Wyorp Rock and chickens really like this.
  7. Birdinhand

Birdinhand Crowing

May 23, 2016
    it's likely the water and water mellon, but the other thing I've seen do this is too much high protein broiler feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: