Poopy bottom

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by millerchix, Jun 13, 2017.

1. millerchix

millerchix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    My hen has poop sticking to her rear. I have cleaned her once and she needs to be cleaned again. Any ideas on what may be causing this?

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Many things like feed/food is not agreeing with her, it being hot, wormy and many other things??? If needed you can trim the feathers close so it has less to stick to.

3. millerchix

millerchix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    We do have a different food in there since we have the chicks in the coop too. Maybe it's that. Thx!

4. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    I would Highly recommend that you never Just change feed for no animal. When I am going to change---even just a brand name---I mix some of the new with the old, then next time I mix a little more of the new with the old, etc till I gradually switch them over.

5. NapaChicknGal

NapaChicknGal Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2015
    so cutting back poopy feathers is ok? thnx!!! my girl is still not walking/standing BBUT she's eating a bit and taking water - i'm giving her mushy kibble mixd w/yogurt and she did eat some sunflower seeds.

6. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Cutting back poopy feathers does Not fix the Poopy problem---just keeps you from having to do more cleaning.

7. KellyChicken

KellyChicken Just Hatched

Mar 3, 2016
    Guilderland, NY
    Poopy butts could also be sign of lice. Check for clumps of nits at the feather base near and below her vent. That's how I discovered my chickens had lice. Ugh.

8. vickiemontana

vickiemontana Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Montana
    I have ONE hen with poopy butt syndrome. Have cut feathers, washed and bathed, but still continues....every couple months. Should I be concerned?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by