Poopy butt....and worms?

sajimnkim

Songster
6 Years
Feb 27, 2017
Do you know how many things come up in the sear h with those words? So many, that I don't have time to read them ALL.
Found a chicken with a poopy but, black runny poo all down her backside, flies were attracted. Went to simply wash her off and noticed a hard 'nodule' of some sort that I was able to remove fairly easily. When I did, I noticed a worm where it seemed to be sort of attached, and when I inspected the area again, I noticed white and reddish worms, almost looked like maggots to me. Washed them all off and non more presented out of the vent or anything.
My phone was inside so no pic, sorry. Do I need to start de-worming? My chicken free range most of the time on about an acre. I have about 20 hens, various breeds.

If she did have a poopy butt like you describe it probably was maggots that you saw. It's called flystrike.
You should soak her twice daily for 10-15 minutes and very closely inspect the area for further maggots that may have hatched from eggs left behind since she was last washed. If you see nothing for 2 washings in a row, you should have removed them all.

Last edited:
Do you know how many things come up in the sear h with those words? So many, that I don't have time to read them ALL.
Found a chicken with a poopy but, black runny poo all down her backside, flies were attracted. Went to simply wash her off and noticed a hard 'nodule' of some sort that I was able to remove fairly easily. When I did, I noticed a worm where it seemed to be sort of attached, and when I inspected the area again, I noticed white and reddish worms, almost looked like maggots to me. Washed them all off and non more presented out of the vent or anything.
My phone was inside so no pic, sorry. Do I need to start de-worming? My chicken free range most of the time on about an acre. I have about 20 hens, various breeds.
You can do DE. I am using that in a dust bath with my hens and ACV in their water. If it is flystrike then I would most likely suggest salt water baths maybe? But I'm not the best person to ask about it.

You can do DE. I am using that in a dust bath with my hens and ACV in their water. If it is flystrike then I would most likely suggest salt water baths maybe? But I'm not the best person to ask about it.
Yeeeees DE in the feed, and ACV in the water. Definitely epsom salt baths for the fly strikes.

Yeeeees DE in the feed, and ACV in the water. Definitely epsom salt baths for the fly strikes.
DE in feed and ACV in water will do nothing for flystrike or much of anything else. The ACV can be useful for vent gleet treatment. DE should only be used in small amounts mixed with feed to keep grain weevils out. Consuming it does nothing for the birds.

DE in feed and ACV in water will do nothing for flystrike or much of anything else. The ACV can be useful for vent gleet treatment. DE should only be used in small amounts mixed with feed to keep grain weevils out. Consuming it does nothing for the birds.
de does do something for them. I keep de in the dust baths and I never have any worms or fleas or anything.

My phone was inside so no pic, sorry. Do I need to start de-worming? My chicken free range most of the time on about an acre. I have about 20 hens, various

I would isolate the wormy chicken, because there may be more larva in her, give 1 tsp. oregano oil for 5 gallons water, It works like an antibiotic and is approved for use in Chickens, Spray the affected area with blue cote for her infected area, then treat them all immediately, Clean and treat the coop!!
Check the little hen with the worm problem.
good luck 😯🥲

Back
Top Bottom