Poopy butt contagious?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gapeach717, Mar 19, 2012.

1. gapeach717

gapeach717 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    North, ga
    So I got 3 Polish and 2 silkies the other day to add to my now completed pack o' chicks, and today I seen what looked like 2 of the Polish had a wet sticky poop dangling from their butt fluff. I did a quick scan on here and seen how dangerous "poopy butt" can be, but I am still not 100% sure thats what it was? Although one of them had a good sized hardened chunk on their butt. I washed each of the 3 off in warm water until I could see their little pink "********?" (yes i am aware how odd that sounds), so is that good?

none pooped when I washed them, but may have since going back in the brooder.

my concern is this....only 3 had it and all three were the new polish, who were housed together in the feed store i got them at together with others like them. is this a contagious thing? is there something more they need? what is the chances they all will get it? is this like a virus?

thanks so much in advance for answering yet ANOTHER poopy butt thread!! [​IMG]

2. gapeach717

Mar 9, 2012
    North, ga
    lol at the word that was bleeped out....ummm i am not sure of a more PG word for the back door of a chicken! [​IMG]

3. Imma Okie

Imma Okie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2011
    Oklahoma
    I am no expert but I think pasty butt happens a lot in hatchery chicks because of all the stresses they go through.
    Now if one is showing symptoms of coccidia, I would isolate that chick ASAP.

4. Imma Okie

Dec 2, 2011
    Oklahoma
    LOL...the vent?

5. Imma Okie

Dec 2, 2011
    Oklahoma
    I am stilling gigglin' at "PG word" [​IMG]
    Pooper would have worked as well!

6. gapeach717

Mar 9, 2012
    North, ga
    LOL ok so i am super tired LMAO!!!

pooper, vent, back door...you get my drift at least! LOL!!!!

i did dog rescue for 2.5 years and did litters of pups only so I know what Coccidia looks like in pups but not chicks....no body is lethargic, all are eating and drinking fine, and playing and sleeping....so I am hoping that isnt it!

7. Imma Okie

Dec 2, 2011
    Oklahoma
    LOL...It's funny what we will do for animals! I thought I was done wiping bottoms when my kids were potty trained!
    Now I have found myself wiping pasty chick bottoms...(noticing that when they chirp, the pooper moves almost as if *stops* I've said too much!)
    I digress. Your chicks are probably just pasty because of stress. I would just keep watchin' and wipin' and they should be fine.

8. gapeach717

Mar 9, 2012
    North, ga
    [​IMG] omg the moving pooper....yes....it was like a nightmare muppet back there!

9. Imma Okie

Dec 2, 2011
    Oklahoma
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] MUPPET! OMG [​IMG]

10. gapeach717

Mar 9, 2012
    North, ga

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by