poopy butt got cleaned, vent area is read & raw, what do now?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dowdschicks, May 15, 2009.

1. dowdschicks

dowdschicks Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2009
    Wenatchee
    Hi chicken lovers!

I notice my RIR hen, about 3 yrs, has grey legs. Her butt is poopy and she has black spots on her comb, but they are small, not bumpy and didnt start out as white, either. She has a sneeze, maybe a cough I dont know the diff. We put fresh hay in their nests, Permethrin .25% on their butts, and in their 1 dust bath area too.

We washed off the poop and trimmed her butt feathers to find that her whole vent area is bare, and very smelly! It sticks out and is squishy. We went ahead and put Duramycin-10 (tetracycline hydrochloride) in their water because I noticed 2 other hens also have small black spots on their combs (maybe I'm paranoid & its really dirt, I dont know) The 3 other hens have soft clean feathers on their rumps....

Do mites cause all those symptoms?

What should we do now?

Should we toss the eggs after they've been treated w/ permethrin? What about Duramycin? Probably ya.

Technically speaking, isnt she passed her egg lying prime? Would she make better soup? I'm not into taking care of a dying bird if you know what I mean, but I don't want to eat something tainted, either.

1 other Q? & maybe related?

We dusted one other hen's butt and it looks fine, but her legs are very scaley. Mites? How do we get her legs smooth?

And, she's always had gangly nails. Is that an issue, should they be trimmed? And if so, how?

Ok, 1 more Q?

Should we put the Duramycin into our pullets' water too? They are seperated but still kinda in the same area. We did dust their butts for extra measure, but they all seem fine.

Thanks for all your info!!!

:)

2. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    That's not a parasite problem you're dealing with, definitley a disease. I wouldn't have treated with antibiotics just yet by the way, but it's too late now. Treating without knowing what you're dealing with could potentially makes things worse and build antibiotic resistance. Any other symptoms? How are their droppings?

Rereading it, it COULD be a paratise, but it would be a big nasty one that's causing anemia. Plus the respiratory distress doesn't fit. I'm still looking.

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  3. dowdschicks

May 13, 2009
    Wenatchee
    Uh oh. The other three hens have regular turds, the '"infected" one has runny poo. She has less energy than usual, but the other hens run around just fine. We could switch out their water, it's only been a couple hours.... Also she is not eating as well today. Her breathing was labored, but we had to chase her a little, and it seemed to slow down after a while. Then again, we had to chase another hen, and she didnt pant at all.

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  4. MoodyChicken

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Are they losing weight? Are their droppings high in white, slimey urates? If so, it could be visceral gout, which is either genetic or nutritional.

5. MoodyChicken

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Quote:Don't change the water unless you're sure they haven't drank a lot. If they've drank some, you should finish the treatment.

6. MoodyChicken

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Ugh, this is a hard one! You've got symptoms that don't match. So, slight respiratory distress, dark dots on face (possibly scabs from fighting?), bare belly, diarrhea, and depression. Hmmm...

7. dowdschicks

May 13, 2009
    Wenatchee
    Ok! thanks so much! I havent noticed any poo out of the ordinary. I'll go do some more poo research though. No weight loss as far as I can tell, she's is kinda waddelling more than usual though. and one of our other hens is pretty pudgy :)

8. MoodyChicken

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    If she wasn't breathing funny and if her abdomen is swollen I'd say she's an internal layer in the final stages. Maybe Fatty Liver Syndrome too... is her comb swollen?

9. dowdschicks

May 13, 2009
    Wenatchee
    Ok. Well, her comb is actually kinda droopy now. So, Is her abdomen closer to her chest or her butt? Her chest seemed fine, but her rump area definately seemd to be squishy and more rounded outwards than the others.

10. countrybum

countrybum Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    area pop. 96
    If she had the stuff caked on her rump and it has been there for a couple days, it is probably just swollen and raw from that, which if she was backed up and unable to relieve her self due to the caking, it would cause the runny stool, etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by