1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Poopy butt on 7 month old BO

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Suziers, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Suziers

Suziers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Hi there-

Yesterday I noticed one of my hens had a streak of stool down her backside. Today it looked worse and I took a closer look. I lifted her tail feathers and noticed what appears to be a collection of stool all over her butt feathers. Some of the stool that was stuck to it was formed. She is behaving fine, eating fine...very active. Just has a messy butt. It just seems unusual and I am not sure what is going on. Any ideas?

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Messy bottoms can be a sign of worms. Have you ever wormed your birds? How old are they? Orps also tend to be a bit more fluffy back there, so it can accumulate faster on them.

3. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

We take ours and wash their butts and then clip back the feathers so it is less likely to collect poo there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by