poopy butt on a hen???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hazen, Mar 3, 2011.

1. hazen

hazen Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2011
    Memphis
    My year old Red sex-link had a fair amount of poop stuck to her feathers just below the vent. i washed the area with water and tried to free what was stuck to her feathers, and trimmed with scissors what the water couldn't remove. she doesn't seem to have any issues that i can see....eating well, drinking well, laying well, very active.....any suggestions or advice? Oh, and the other two girls aren't having poop issues at all. FYI. Thanks.

2. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    If the problem does not persist then she could have eaten something that screwed up her system for a short time. Stress can also cause temp problems.

Matt

3. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    my EE that I recently acquired had the same issue, so I bathed her and trimmed her feathers in the area- so far it has not recurred.

4. carolinasculpture

carolinasculpture Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    Hi! Had to do that with my BR. Once I got it cleaned up, she didn't have any more trouble. I hope for the same for yours! It seemed like she must have had one poo get stuck and then the next poos just kinda added to the mass.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I've had to trim feathers occasionally on some of my hens' rear ends...problems solved.

6. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    My leghorn hen always has that problem.No sickness in her,just a messy pooper. [​IMG]

7. hazen

hazen Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2011
    Memphis
    Great news....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by