Poopy butt on laying hen

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ellenf, May 11, 2011.

1. ellenf

ellenf New Egg

Mar 9, 2011
    My one laying hen has had dirty back-end feathers for a bit I've noticed. Then the last couple of days she's been what I thought was "broody", sitting in the nesting box much longer than normal. Today I noticed she had quite an, uh, attachment of fecal matter to her rear. I enlisted a friend to hold her this evening while I tried to clean her up, including trimming off feathers and stuck on poop and am wondering if that was somehow contributing to the nest box sitting (did she think it was an egg stuck back there?). I didn't get too close, being nervous. She laid an egg yesterday, but not today, (not unusual, she probably lays 5-6 a week), although sat in the nesting box much of the day. I'm thinking tomorrow maybe I should get a bucket of warm water and try to clean her off even more, although most is gone now. But she was back in the nesting box rather than on the roost at night when I locked them in. The other two hens are not laying yet, but are all clean back there. She's the bossy one of the bunch, so has her pick of food etc.

So is there anything else I should do? And how to avoid this in the future?

Thanks,
    Ellen

2. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Every once in awhile I have to bathe my girl's bottoms and trim feathers because of messy bottoms. Not sure if this has anything to do with your broodiness problem though....

3. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Maybe she needs deworming?

4. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    I doubt one thing has anything to do with the other. I have that poopy butt problem with a few of my bigger bottomed girls. Especially my giant cochins.

5. ketcham

ketcham Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Marshallville,Ohio
    Gee,,,can't you teach them to wipe better!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Sorry !!! had to!!! Kevin I notice one of mine is that way.

6. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I noticed it with some of my EEs.I was thinking it was their roosting choice which for some is just sitting on the ground.

7. ellenf

ellenf New Egg

Mar 9, 2011
    Thanks everyone. Sounds like maybe there are two things going on. I will see how she is today.

8. TaylorHobbyFarms

TaylorHobbyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    I had one pullet with the same problem early last month. I used a warm bucket of water, dipping her bottom in repeatedly and then lightly pulling on the mass with wet paper towels. Definitely a dirty job, but after about ten minutes of being very careful not to pull too hard and continually dipping, I managed to get it all out. After drying, the next day she looked just like all the others. I use the same method if a chick gets a build-up on their toes.

9. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    If you can find a dishpan or plastic bin or the like, big enough to set them in, they often seem to enjoy a leisurely soak in warm slightly soapy water -- once they get the idea, anyway.

10. ReadyRen

ReadyRen Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    Giving chickens a bath. I like that idea.

Lets give the girls a spa treatment let them soak in a nice herbal bath, maybe rose petals and then do their nails! I wonder if there is a herbal formula that would help prevent lice and mites.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by