Poopy butt vs Pasty butt

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by arlee453, Nov 16, 2007.

1. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Well, my little silkies have found the food and so the poop fun has begun! [​IMG]

Their little bottoms are so fuzzy that the poo seems to be sticking more than I remember as compared to my standard chicks.

At what point does poopy butt become pasty butt, requiring cleaning to prevent problems? Or should I just go ahead and clean all 10 little chicky butts?

[​IMG]

2. arlee453

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    I like typing the word 'poo' so much I'm giving my poo thread a bum...p. Pun intended.. [​IMG]

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

They are pretty much the same really, as any poo stuck to their bums can very quickly esclate and plug them up. I say clean it up and trim down the fuzz.

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    In addition, check the heat to make sure it's not too hot or too cold for them. That is usually the cause, altho some are just more prone to it until their digestive system kicks in better.

Jody

5. arlee453

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Thanks for the responses. I took a look at their bums and I have to say I feel sort of silly...

I wasn't thinking about the fact that silkies have black skin. What I thought was caked poo was in most cases just their little vents shining black through their fuzz. Whew! (and duh...)

I did have 3 that did have a bit of the crusties and I went ahead and cleaned that off although I don't think it was to a bad point yet at all... better safe than sorry though.

They really weren't too happy about the inspection process though! Don would say their evil side was coming out!

6. edster951

edster951 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have one chick that gets a poopy butt,....

I get one of the boys to each in a get it, and I dampen the butt down, then wash off the poop. Have to do it once a week.....she's not too bad this week though.

7. CluckCluck18

CluckCluck18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Largo, FL
    I was wondering if certain breeds are more prone to pasty butt. I've been hatching eggs ......lost 4 Araucanas to pasty butt and just hatched 2 more and on day 4, another one dead! In the mean time have hatched BCM's and Cornish and they are all fine. They all got the same treatment.....pine shavings covered with paper towels, Probios in the food, ACV and Polyvisol in the water and play sand for grit. I'm starting to see why these chickens are so rare and so expensive. We just want to get one little blue egg layer...... [​IMG]

8. Tilly's Nest

Tilly's Nest Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2010
    Cape Cod
    Silkies are prone to pasty butts. Moistening the poop with warm water on a paper towel and then loosening the poop by massaging it in your hands seems best. Put a little neosporin on the vent when you are done. Glad to hear it was just their vents but just in case....

9. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Yep, I second giving the worst offenders a brazillian buzz to reduce the chances of developing pasty butt.

If they develop it anyway, you can fill the sink with warm water, and lower the chick's butt into it. After a couple of minutes soaking, you should be able to rub the chick clean with a washcloth, then wrap them up for snuggles in a towell until they dry.

I have noticed certain breeds paste up more than others. Every single barred cochin I've ever raised has been just impossible about it [​IMG] . I have NO idea what they're doing when I'm not looking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by