poopy butt with 5 day old chick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Ducklove334, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    I noticed this evening that our little partridge Cochin chick has dried poop on the fuzz around her butt, it's just on the fuzz, not actually stuck IN her butt, so she can poo,I brought her in and tryed wetting the poo and tried to get it off, but I didn't wanna hurt her.

will she get the poo off herself or is it something to worry about, no one else has any dried poopies

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  2. moduckman

moduckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Cairo, Missouri
    Soak its little bottom in warm water and pull it off. Next, go get some dirt or a bag of top soil and put it in next ot the feed. This will help with your problem.[​IMG]

3. Ducklove334

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    I had that idea, with the dirt, i told myself that they needed grit and that when the weather cleared up I was gonna give them a little pile of dirt to peck and scratch in, but I may do that tomorrow morning, if I happen on some unfrozen dirt [​IMG]

I will check the chick, and everyone tomorrow too, just to make sure they're all fine, other than irritating dry poo on her butt, she is as active and healthy as all the others

4. moduckman

Jan 2, 2009
    Cairo, Missouri
    Hardware stores carry bags of top soil for less than $3 for 40 pounds. That's what I do in the winter.

5. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

OK, The straight skinny on "Pasty Butt". Believe it or not, Pasty Butt is a symptom of constipation. The cure is molasses in their drinking water. Molasses is a natural laxative for fowl. Mix it like weak tea and give it to them for 2 days. Naturally you should clean their little butts with a warm damp cloth before you start the treatment. Failure to cure this condition could result in a painful death for your chicken. This treatment is for adult birds as well as chicks.

6. moduckman

Jan 2, 2009
    Cairo, Missouri
    Stick with the dirt. Also you can keep a small amount of vinegar in their drinking water. This prevents the green slime from forming as well as aid their digestion.

7. Ducklove334

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    they have some dirt now, and everyone actually seems to be pooping better! [​IMG]

tis amazin what dirt in the digestive tract can do!

8. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Get that off asap it can cause death because it hardens up so much that they can't poo. Cochins seem to be prone to that. Mine had it too. What I did was run him under warm water and as it ran over it take a q-tip or a gloved hand and work it lose. It will look like he has a bare hind end but once he's dry it will look better. Do it for only a few minutes and let the baby rest a bit and do it again until it's gone. Once they get older that won't happen anymore. Then take a Q tip and rub some oil on his vent and it won't happen again [​IMG] It worked like a charm for me. I did it every day until I was sure he was old enough that it would not happen again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by