poopy butt with maggot!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by woolychicken, Jun 23, 2010.

1. woolychicken

woolychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2009
    mesick michigan
    i have a old hen (gramdma) that is about 6 years old she will some times get a poopy butt. today she just sat on the pearch after i let everyone out. i pick her up and knew something was wrong by the foul smell. i check her bottm to find maggots around and below her vent [​IMG] i quickly got her in the house and began cleaning her with dail soap , perioxide,lots of water i soaked her bottom in the sink and when i was done dry her off as best i could . removed what i could see and sprayed her with bule coat. I FEEL AWFUL should i do any thing more. i put her back in the pen after i disinfected and scrubed all the perches with bleach and water then i sprayed melathion every where to reduce the flys.strange thing is that i have not had many flies in the barn. but she does rome the yard with the rest of the flock. is there anything else to do?,should i keep her away from the other birds?

2. SmartyChick

SmartyChick An Official Milkmaid

Oct 19, 2009
    Sullivan County NY
    sounds like you did everything you could. [​IMG] mine occasionally get poopy butts, and I promptly scrub them, especially in the hot weather. Just keep an eye out in case she gets her bum poopy again. [​IMG]

3. woolychicken

woolychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2009
    mesick michigan
    i home schooled my three childern k-11 they are all know grown up and married my middle daughter said they where each others best friend and emeny so they always had to get along. they are all very close ,they talk every day to each other.it was the best thing we did as a family. thank you for your input on my hen, i hope she will get better i will watch her closely
    wooly

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by