Poopy butt

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by robinef, Sep 20, 2016.

1. robinef

robinef Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2016
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Hi there! What do you think this could be? It looks like it's just on the outside, white/grayish poop... Our other chicken looks pretty clean... [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
  2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Could be just a poopy butt, she is is really fluffy. Some hens don't "shoot the poop" as far as others.

I have one that sometimes had a small amount of poop that got stuck on her fluff. I cleaned her up and then trimmed some of the fluff. Fixed that problem.

If she is eating and drinking well, active and no signs of lethargy, huddling, then clean her up and just keep an eye on her.

3. robinef

Jul 19, 2016
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Thanks! I've been giving them apple cider vinegar in the water prophylactly. Is it ok to give it to them daily? I just do a tsp or so per quart

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I can't comment on the ACV, I've never used it, you may want to search here on BYC, I'm sure there are plenty of threads about the pros/cons of ACV.

5. Good Enough

Good Enough Out Of The Brooder

Did she turn out to be ok? I'm having the exact same issue but the hen looks and acts healthy otherwise.

6. robinef

Jul 19, 2016
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Yes turned out just fine!!!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by