Poopy butt

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by sophieethompson, Jan 2, 2017.

1. sophieethompson

sophieethompson Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2016
    I recently noticed that my buff Orpington hen has a lot of poop stuck to its butt feathers. It has been there for about a week and I'm wondering if I should clean it? And how I should clean it?

Thanks,
    Sophie

2. pinkandrews

pinkandrews Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2016
    South of South Denver
    Same thing happened to my two BO. I gave them a gentil bath with warm water. There was all kinds of things stuck there.
    It helped a lot getting the area clean.

3. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Just clip it with some scissors.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Take a good close look.....not fun, I know...but(t) a necessary part of chickeneering.
    Clipping it off might be easiest, much less stinky than bathing, and help prevent it from happening again..

5. Cacique500

Cacique500 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2013
    Atlanta, Georgia
    I had a BR with chronic poopy butt. My solution was to take her inside and give her a bath every few weeks. I'd wear gloves and just gently work out whatever was stuck on there. Usually took about 10 minutes to get her good and clean, then I'd blow dry her. After a time or two she settled right down and actually enjoyed it.

You may also want to give some probiotics (like yogurt) - that seemed to help with mine. Also eliminate anything that can cause runny poop for the time being (watermelon goes right through mine...grapes too).

1 person likes this.
  6. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

I had a young Bresse cockerel develop a poopy butt and I chose the soaking method...which, as you can imagine, he hated (and I hated, too). I only had to do it once, and once clean, his problem resolved.

I'm with @Cacique500 on the probiotics - my flock gets fermented feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by