Poopy butt?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KDOGG331, Jan 26, 2018.

1. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Crossing the Road

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    A bunch of my chickens have poopy butts and I was just wondering what some possible causes were. I only just recently noticed it, like within the past week or two. They are all acting perfectly fine and eating, drinking, etc., nothing unusual. They stopped laying for a while for fall/winter and molting but now I think 4 are laying again. I have 7.

They are penned and are 2 years old. I've never had this problem.

The pen was pretty dirty and sometimes they sleep on the roof if that makes a difference?

But again, never had the issue and nothing has changed.

I just completely emptied out the coop the other day though, put DE down, and added a bag of shavings.

I think the coop and run is also too small so maybe moving them will help? We have a new coop built, just need to get a run.

I have never wormed them before and was wondering if I should or if that would cause it? But don't want to worm unnecessarily.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  2. KDOGG331

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Oh and I can get pictures if needed

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General

Can you have their poop checked for worm eggs, coccidia, bacteria, and yeast?

4. KDOGG331

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    How do you check for those?

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General

You take a bunch of poo to a vet.

KikisGirls and SonoranChick like this.
  6. KDOGG331

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Ahh well I'm not sure if there's a vet around here but I'm willing to try to find one if it's not too expensive.

casportpony likes this.
  7. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Crowing

Jul 19, 2015
    Coastal Bend, TX
    Kdog any vet should be able to do it, it doesn't have to be a livestock or avian vet.

KDOGG331 and casportpony like this.
  8. rebrascora

rebrascora Crowing

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Hi.... I see that the reason you were following the other thread where we have recently exchanged views, is that you are also having similar issues with your flock. Obviously you have read my opinion and concerns there but @casportpony raises other considerations.

As regards getting a faecal sample checked, most vets should be able to do it but some will insist on seeing the chicken and charge accordingly :rolleyes:and others will say that they do not do chickens..... they really don't need to as it is the same sampling process as for cats and dogs. There may be some mail order options, where you purchase a sampling kit and send it to a lab for testing. This is usually considerably cheaper than going through a vet. I am in the UK and it costs about £10 for this service including 1st class postage of the sample and usually next day results. They will accept an individual sample from one chicken or you can mix poop from your flock and then submit a combined sample. The same lab started out offering the service for horses which is where I started using them and then diversified. I am sure there must be similar services in the USA and if not, there is a good business opportunity for someone!!

9. KDOGG331

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    That's good to know, thanks.

Yup! I saw it and figured I'd read there first but I still wanted to make my own hah

And thanks, that's a good idea.

10. KDOGG331

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Chullicken likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: