Poopy butt

Sammster

Crowing
Jul 31, 2021
SE Michigan
I discovered today that one of my laying pullets had a poopy but. I'm not sure if it would qualify as pasty butt because the poop didn't cover her vent. It was just an area below the vent. I washed her up and clipped just a tiny bit, where it was very stuck. Dried her up and she is back in her pen. Her vent looked normal and healthy to me. Her eggs are normal. Their coop is cleaned daily. I pick up the obvious droppings with a poop scooper in their pen, daily. I wash their water bowl, daily. They are still on grower feed, but, I've started giving them a small amount of scratch in the afternoons, to help with overnight warmth. They have BOSS in a bottle, but don't really play with it, so they aren't getting much of that. Occasionally, I add a drop of oregano oil or ACV to their water. Is there anything else I could do or watch for?
Best picture I could come up with. This was taken after cleaning her bottom up
20211209_160946.jpg

I discovered today that one of my laying pullets had a poopy but. I'm not sure if it would qualify as pasty butt because the poop didn't cover her vent. It was just an area below the vent. I washed her up and clipped just a tiny bit, where it was very stuck. Dried her up and she is back in her pen. Her vent looked normal and healthy to me. Her eggs are normal. Their coop is cleaned daily. I pick up the obvious droppings with a poop scooper in their pen, daily. I wash their water bowl, daily. They are still on grower feed, but, I've started giving them a small amount of scratch in the afternoons, to help with overnight warmth. They have BOSS in a bottle, but don't really play with it, so they aren't getting much of that. Occasionally, I add a drop of oregano oil or ACV to their water. Is there anything else I could do or watch for?
Best picture I could come up with. This was taken after cleaning her bottom up
View attachment 2923653
Some of my poofier birds get this. It is important to maintain it to prevent issues, but you are doing great. If she is otherwise fine, I wouldn't worry. For poopy butts (in adults), I also like to clip the area where the poop is stuck. I try not to wash them that often, unless really needed.

Some of my poofier birds get this. It is important to maintain it to prevent issues, but you are doing great. If she is otherwise fine, I wouldn't worry. For poopy butts (in adults), I also like to clip the area where the poop is stuck. I try not to wash them that often, unless really needed.
Thank you. I think she is otherwise fine. I'll keep a close watch. I was worried about trimming too much, with the winter temps. But also worried about her being wet. Fortunately, today wasn't very cold, and she actually let me blow dry her bottom, a little. I was lucky that it was this particular girl. She is the most laid back of the group

Thank you. I think she is otherwise fine. I'll keep a close watch. I was worried about trimming too much, with the winter temps. But also worried about her being wet. Fortunately, today wasn't very cold, and she actually let me blow dry her bottom, a little. I was lucky that it was this particular girl. She is the most laid back of the group
And she is lucky to have you. :love

I have a pullet who quit laying after a few weeks of regular eggs. I checked her last night and she had poopy butt. I washed her up and kept her in the house. I kept her in to dry as it was below zero with wind chill. WAIT FOR IT....I lifted her up and turned her over to check and she pooped liquid white diarrhea on my face. I am in shock. yes, because of the type of poop and the fact it landed on my face

Back
Top Bottom