Poopy butt?

dgeter

Songster
11 Years
Dec 8, 2008
Colorado
My Coop
My Coop
Hello all! Yesterday I picked up two baby ducks that are about 2 weeks old and 2 silver seabright chicks that are 6 days old.

One of the seabrights I picked because it was obviously not feeling well. It was just standing there letting me pet it while all the others fled. Its wings were drooped down and it had the "poopy" butt. I k now thats a really bad sign on adult birds but is it a bad sign on chicks as well?

If so, how do I help the little guy? Today it seemed a little better.. it was drinking a little but it seems to move around as little as possible so Im worried.

Any help would be great!!
hu.gif

you need to wash his bottom off with warm water and a cloth. Pasty butt can block the vent causing them to become impacted and be fatal.

Oohh thanks for telling me that. I'll go home right now and attempt that. I tried to get it off already but its crusted on there really hard. :-(

Hold the chick in one hand, butt forward and run the water just barely warm over your fingers and gently work the poo to soften it - no pulling.

Then dry well with washcloth and put ointment or other lube to help it from building up again. For some chicks, it only takes once but for others you need to repeat for a week or so. Keep an eye on it.

I hope it's not too late for the little fuzzy butt.

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ :

Hold the chick in one hand, butt forward and run the water just barely warm over your fingers and gently work the poo to soften it - no pulling.

Then dry well with washcloth and put ointment or other lube to help it from building up again. For some chicks, it only takes once but for others you need to repeat for a week or so. Keep an eye on it.

I hope it's not too late for the little fuzzy butt.

Agreed! Whatever you do, do not pull! I have heard of people pulling out the insides of the chick!
sad.png
Just wash off all the poo and then I rub a little A&D ointment or vaseline on the bottom to help to keep things moving along.
smile.png
Clean right away as this can become fatal very quickly! Good luck!
wink.png

My little bantys also have a bit of poo sticking, not over the vent, but the turds get stuck on their floofy lil butt fuzz. So, I need to clean them up and then put vaseline on to keep it from sticking?

Pasty Butt;

OK, The straight skinny on "Pasty Butt". Believe it or not, Pasty Butt is a symptom of constipation. The cure is molasses in their drinking water. Molasses is a natural laxative for fowl. Mix it like weak tea and give it to them for 2 days. Naturally you should clean their little butts with a warm damp cloth before you start the treatment. Failure to cure this condition could result in a painful death for your chicken. This treatment is for adult birds as well as chicks.

Well I rushed home after reading the 1st reply and washed her butt. I think I was just in time because as soon as I did she pooped a big one haha. She sure didn't like the washing though haha.

I didn't know about the lube at that point so I'll put some on tonight when I get home. Hopefully she'll be fine now :) Poor fuzy butt..

Back
Top Bottom