poopy butt

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gretchen, Feb 10, 2008.

1. gretchen

gretchen Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2007
    I have noticed that a couple of my gals get poop stuck in their soft fluffy butt feathers... it seems to get cleaned off in a couple of days, I always assumed that they cleaned their butts of with their beaks while roosting. I have one hen who doesn't just have a little dribble but two full large (about walnut shell) sized formed poops hanging off her little feathers. I tried soaking the poops in a warm damp washclothes (like when they were pasted up chicks) but I couldn't seem to make a dent in them and she was none to pleased with me either. Should I let her figure it out or should I try to cut them out?
    She can still poop, they aren't blocking her up just hanging off her feathers. it's also cold and snowy here so I don't want to get her too wet washing her off.

2. nccatnip

nccatnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    Piedmont area NC
    If you can handle the chickens, why not just trim the area with scissors? Clip away some of the feathers and see if that helps.

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    You can trim her butt fluff around the vent and see if that help if it really bothers you to see it. If it is big yucky poops I would trim. Fecal matter is a breeding ground for bacteria and disease.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by