Poopy butt

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by katefreya, Nov 15, 2010.

1. katefreya

katefreya New Egg

Sep 28, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    I have a pullet that has had a poopy butt since we got her about a month or two ago. We dunked her butt in warm, soapy water and cleaned it once and it looked better for a few days and then got poopy again. We don't see any signs of parasites or worms, etc. She seems happy and healthy other than that. Do some chickens just have poopy butts? Should we trim those feathers? Will this be a problem once she starts to lay (which should be any day now from the looks of her)? Any advice or suggestions would be very appreciated. Thanks.

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Yes, it is possible for a chicken to get poopy butt. I have a GLW about 5-6 years old that has had poopy butt her entire life. She is not the easiest to handle so I trim the feathers a bit. It is important that you rule out any health issues and keep her skin clean as the ammonia in the poop can burn the skin.

Imp-For some reason it stopped this summer. [​IMG]

3. waitin on eggs

waitin on eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    Spartansburg,PA
    Quote:i have one girl who I have washed her up (poo matted in fluff) three times now, This last time I trimmed the fluffiest part. Suprisingly she enjoys her little baths and blow drying time(Maybe she's doing it on purpose)[​IMG]

4. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    Quote:i have one girl who I have washed her up (poo matted in fluff) three times now, This last time I trimmed the fluffiest part. Suprisingly she enjoys her little baths and blow drying time(Maybe she's doing it on purpose)[​IMG]

Sha probaly is chickens are sneaky

5. flockof4

flockof4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2010
    Webster Groves, MO
    It happens. Sometimes the poop touches the feathers and sticks. Trimming the feathers is fine and will help keep the area clean. As long as your birds are used to being handled, they shouldn't mind the trimming. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by