Poopy butt..

torrelee

Songster
8 Years
Apr 6, 2011
long beach, wa
I'm sure there are a million of these threads posted, but I'm in the middle of an 8 page paper for school and had to stop distracting myself with BYC! Quick question about my new babies though. I picked up 2 3 day old silkie babies yesterday and one of them has a little poo on its rear. Doesn't affect its ability to poo as I saw it poo on my BF this morning. Do I clean it off or let it do its thing???
Also, The first chick I grabbed at the farm had 5 toes so I figured they all did, but upon bringing home the two that I managed to catch I realized that mine have only 4 toes... They have black skin and there were black silkies at the farm, but there was also a black silkie/turken (showgirl??) cross hen. I didn't see her feet so I dont' know how many toes she had, but is it possible that I have 4 toed silkies or are they crossed with something else?
85560_imag0069.jpg

There are chickens that have five toes--Dorkings..and of course genetic mutations also...but if yours is not showing problems from the fifth toe I would'nt worry. But I would'nt use for breeding if it is a mutation--and I'm not sure about showing since you don't know exact breed..

Silkies are supposed to have 5... these have 4. Pet quality is fine and I'm not planning on breeding, I just wanted a lap chicken!

Sorry--I did'nt know that about the Silkies--learn something new...Sounds like may be breed with something else, especially if you got that many with only 4 toes...and you did have a Turken/mix at the place you picked them up..It's hard to say for sure but I would bet they may be mixed...and about the poop--I would wipe it off--just to make sure it doesn't block vent and you can watch for next day--so you have clean slate (sort to speak) LOL

I read somewhere that poopy butt could possibly be fatal to baby chicks...
Not sure if it is true or not, but it might be worth cleaning it up just to be safe

Has it only stuck once or twice--if it becomes an occurance everyday--all the time--covering vent...then it may become a problem. I checked everyone I had for first several days than I had 3 first day--then 2 next--then one the third day (of course same one for three days running) after that no prolem and they have been fine...

Back
Top Bottom