1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

poopy butt

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mapsey, Mar 3, 2007.

1. mapsey

mapsey New Egg

Mar 3, 2007
    Hi y'all. I just got 50 chicks from Ideal yesterday. One arrived dead and one died overnight. The rest look healthy. They are active and eating and drinking just fine (as far as I can tell with 48 of them!). However, I noticed that several of them have what my kids call "poopy butt". What can I do? I don't want any more to die. Thank you. Mary

2. aimee

aimee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2007
    Lake WaConDa, NE
    There's a good post about it under Diseases and Cures called pasty butt.

3. TheBigWRanch

TheBigWRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    Wenatchee, Washington
    Make sure to take it off right away, they can die from it.

1 person likes this.
  4. Foghorn

Foghorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Connecticut
    2 out of 50 is not that bad. Just check out my other posts about MY losses.

You do have to get that stuff off their butts. Soak it with warm water and maybe your finger tips or q-tip. Or you can gently pull it off. I would think that wetting it and cleaning the area would be much less "annoying" to the them. Either way, it should come off.

Welcome and good luck with your new buddies! Now let's see some pics!

5. Daddas1Punkin

Daddas1Punkin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2012
    Ca.
    Aw, that is sad. You have to clean it off them ASAP! They can die! 4 Of our older chickens got it and that day was turned around to be able to give them a bath. It was like "GET THEM IN THE TUB! HURRY! And they are fine now. One of them almost died from that. But we caught it in time! [​IMG]

6. Fly Be Free

Fly Be Free Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    South Carolina
    Glad I read this. I had one like that and ewwwwwww. But I'm so glad I got it off. I'm not sure he could poop! He's currently picking his bald butt. LOL

7. MissTee

MissTee Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2012
    Central Coast CA
    You saved my chick! Thanks lades- I decided to check this thread before going to bed the other night. I had a 4 day old EE that was acting very tired and she was just hiding behind the thermometer and keeping to herself. She had dried poop over her vent for over 24 hours at that point. I'm so glad a couple of you just said "get it off now- they can die". That got my attention!
    I took her over to the sink and rubbed her bottom with warm wet paper towel. It finally all came off after some patience. When I put her back in she pooped 2 giant poops so I know she had been plugged.
    Since her rear end was still damp she was getting pecked so I separated her for the night just to keep her safe. She was drinking that night and eating by morning.
    I have since given my 8 chicks hard boiled egg with their feed yesterday and a little plain yogurt in their feed today. This was suggested on a thread for treating pasty butt.
    They're all doing good. Even little Frankie is getting spunky again. Phew!!
    Thanks!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by