1. Arroz con Pollo

Arroz con Pollo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2014
    South Lake Tahoe, CA
    Funny title, I know, but let me elaborate here.

For a couple of days my hen has had a bit of a runny butt. She seems to poop normally, but her vent area has had some poop and had a bit of a suspicious crusty, discharge on it. We wiped her butt, so she's alright for now, but she's a bit on the lethargic side. She'll peck around with her flock and will spazz when we try to pick her up, which is normal, but sometimes she has to stop and stand and puff up for a while, which isn't normal for her. She's about six or seven, so she's older and that could just be a part of this, but what does this all mean? How can I treat this? No one else seems ill, other than occasional sneezing, but it seems to be dust-related... Could this be worms?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  2. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    If she has a pasty butt then I would certainly de-worm her..worms will kill a chicken if left untreated...I would suggest you use Safeguard or Panacur...treat all of the flock and repeat dose in 14 days after initial dose...dispense of the eggs for 28 days...do not feed them back to the chickens.

3. dumplingirl

dumplingirl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2014
    dip her butt in wter then worn her

4. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

Is it possible she got some moldy food? I would do an Epsom salt drench and then repeat 12 hours later, ensuring she has plenty of water to drink as well (it's a laxative and will help clear up an imbalance possibly caused by acidic vent ] There are instructions online for the proper amounts, you'll only use about one ounce of water each time, so it doesn't take much. (It can still be a pain to get them to take it)

5. Arroz con Pollo

Jun 19, 2014
    South Lake Tahoe, CA
    Just a quick update:

She's had more puss and crustiness on her vent area than poop, now. It's been cleaned, again, but now I'm really starting to think it might be a yeast infection rather than worms. It smells pretty nasty, too, and she's itchy back there, so that could definitely point to a yeast infection.

I've heard of people squirting iodine diluted in water at the vent to treat this. Should I be doing that instead?

Thank you for the worming advice, though; I've been looking to do that for a while. And the Epsom salt treatment, jazaki'Allahu khair!

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  6. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

shukran y gracias lol. The Epsom salt drench is for vent gleet/yeast infection. Hopefully that's all she'll need. :)
    Any idea what may have caused it? Normally due to moldy food. And I learned that just because it's a brand new or even a "fresh" bag, doesn't keep it from being moldy.
    Yuck, for sure on that one.

You can do the external treatment to the vent, but the problem is systemic (digestive) and needs to be treated as such as well as addressing the underlying cause.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  7. Arroz con Pollo

Jun 19, 2014
    South Lake Tahoe, CA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by