Poopy butt

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MyTMo, Jan 14, 2015.

1. MyTMo

MyTMo Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2014
    Novato, CA
    My Wyndotte has a bit if a poopy butt. She looks fine, acts fine but she does have a bit of poop build up on her rear feathers. It looks like it has collected there from each time she poops. Should I clean it? How?! Please give me your advise. Thanks!

2. ThePRfan

ThePRfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014
    This actually islife threatening I believe,it is dangerous.
    You should get wet paper towels,rub,and pick all poop of from,the vent,and feathers.

1 person likes this.
  3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    The "risk" here would depend on how severe the build-up has become. Is it currently blocking her vent and impeding the passage of waste or is it just a bit of crusty gunk mucking up the feathers back there? Some birds are messier than others, it can also have to do with the consistency and quality of the waste they are passing as some will pass more cleanly than other. Cleaning it up is a great first step, and it may correct the matter as getting rid of all the build up removes the 'platform' for further build up - if, though, it starts to build back up again you may want/need to work towards other corrective steps such as trimming, adjustment in her health, etc - or just keep on top of the clean-up back there to keep it from getting bad again.

1 person likes this.
  4. MyTMo

MyTMo Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2014
    Novato, CA
    I thought I would give an update. I cleaned up her feathers. No more poop. It was a good size nugget holding on. Her vent and the surrounding area look good. Lupida was a really good girl when I was doing all this. Even when I blew her dry. Her poops look healthy. I think she is a messy pooper, it doesn't help the feathers there are so soft and fluffy back there.

5. Sarah42

Sarah42 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2015
    I have a Wyandotte too. She needs her fluff checked every week to make sure her vent isn't being blocked. If there is a large amount of poop sticking to her feathers and it is dried on or mostly, I'll usually give her rear end a bath to loosen the poop. I've read that Wyandottes, because they are so fluffy back there, tend to have this problem. Cutting down on the amount of fruit given as snacks can help make the poop stay a little more formed.

1 person likes this.
  6. collingwood

collingwood Chillin' With My Peeps

I hope she's okay!

7. MyTMo

MyTMo Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2014
    Novato, CA
    Thanks Collingwood! I cleaned her up and so far her cute furry behind is looking good.

8. collingwood

collingwood Chillin' With My Peeps

That's good!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by