Poopy-butted breeds? how to do a chicken butt-icure?

vermontgal

Songster
11 Years
Mar 24, 2008
Salt Lake City / Sugarhood
My production red seems to always have clean feathers on her butt, but my barred rocks seem to accumulate little balls o' poop back there. Surprisingly, their eggs are not always poopy.

I have cleaned them off a couple times, and this weekend am thinking to clean them off but also trim back those poop-prone feathers. Any tips for a successful and shapely chicken butt-icure?

coffeelady3

Froths Milk for Hard Cash
11 Years
Jun 26, 2008
Tacoma, WA
I have the same problem with my BR. I've just given her a soak in the bath tub, but this last time I went ahead and trimmed the feathers 'back there'. So far so good...

chickenfever

Songster
11 Years
Jul 22, 2008
Arizona
Yeah, I have the same prob w/my BO's fluffy butts. I usually just leave it though. It doesn't seem to be getting worse.

HiDelight

Songster
10 Years
Mar 1, 2009
I feel validated my Barred Rock is so pretty from the front but her butt is kind of embarassing! all the other birds are fine hers is not very tidy that is for sure! I was going to wait until we had a warmer day to try to wash her butt off I am afraid it is just too cold yet to get her wet (and really it is not too bad just unseemly
)

Last edited:

al6517

Real Men can Cook
11 Years
May 13, 2008
Standard Cochins are the worst!!! They never wipe. eewwwww.
LOL LOL, I should use hedge clippers to trim their butt feathers.

AL

msgenie516

The Happy Hen
11 Years
May 16, 2008
Nesconset, LI, NY
Hi,

I have a very large EE that's just like that! I haven't done anything about it, though as it doesn't seem to be getting any worse. Good luck!
Genie

Top Bottom