1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Poopy-butted breeds? how to do a chicken butt-icure?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by vermontgal, Mar 21, 2009.

1. vermontgal

vermontgal Chillin' With My Peeps

My production red seems to always have clean feathers on her butt, but my barred rocks seem to accumulate little balls o' poop back there. Surprisingly, their eggs are not always poopy.

I have cleaned them off a couple times, and this weekend am thinking to clean them off but also trim back those poop-prone feathers. Any tips for a successful and shapely chicken butt-icure?

2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Sorry... I haven't gotten past that hilarious title... [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2009
  3. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    I have the same problem with my BR. I've just given her a soak in the bath tub, but this last time I went ahead and trimmed the feathers 'back there'. So far so good...

4. chickenfever

chickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    Arizona
    Yeah, I have the same prob w/my BO's fluffy butts. I usually just leave it though. It doesn't seem to be getting worse.

5. HiDelight

HiDelight Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    I feel validated my Barred Rock is so pretty from the front but her butt is kind of embarassing! all the other birds are fine hers is not very tidy that is for sure! I was going to wait until we had a warmer day to try to wash her butt off I am afraid it is just too cold yet to get her wet (and really it is not too bad just unseemly [​IMG])

Last edited: Mar 21, 2009
  6. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Standard Cochins are the worst!!! They never wipe. eewwwww.
    LOL LOL, I should use hedge clippers to trim their butt feathers.

AL

7. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Hi,

I have a very large EE that's just like that! I haven't done anything about it, though as it doesn't seem to be getting any worse. Good luck! [​IMG] Genie

8. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    Hedge clippers? [​IMG] And all I did was scissors on my baby buff orps butt! If you do, please share picts! HaHa [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    What's up?

Chicken Butt-icure! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by