1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Poopy Butts ....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by halfpynt, Apr 27, 2007.

1. halfpynt

halfpynt Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2007
    Help,,,

We have 6 girls ,,, 2 weeks old .. and they all except for two ,, get really bad poop stuck to their butts ...

the other day i couldnt take it anymore ,, so i took them one by one and gently put their butts in warm water ( no soap , just water ) and washed them all off .

but on alot of info that ive read,, it says that they dont like to get wet...

Is it normal that that happens ? and is it ok if i do wash them ?
    Thanks !

2. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    Warm water is the best way to clean up poopy butt! You did the right thing, you just have to be careful, to not get the whole chick wet, and that tehy get dried well, and not get a chill.

3. halfpynt

Apr 19, 2007
    Thank you .... you were the only one brave enough to answer that ... lol

4. halfpynt

Apr 19, 2007
    Will it always be that way with them,,,, dirty butts like that , or will that go away .>>?

5. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    Quote:It will go away, there are some birds that for some reason will continue to have this problem, but It is not very common. It most often occurs in very young birds, but does typically go away. [​IMG]

6. halfpynt

Apr 19, 2007
    great ! i was worried ,,, Thanks !

7. chickenlips

chickenlips Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2007
    Q-tips work great for pasty butts! Just wet a Q-tip in warm water and work it around the stuck on poo. It usually comes off with little effort. Dip another Q-tip in baby oil and rub it on the fuzz under the vent. That will help prevent further sticking. Hang in there...pasty butt usually doesn't last more than a week at the most.

8. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    If you are having an ongoing problem, try combining your starter ration with an equal amount of cornmeal or crushed oatmeal (uncooked).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by