poopy chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lyssafulmerz, Nov 1, 2013.

1. lyssafulmerz

lyssafulmerz Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2013
    south western pa
    new to chickens. just started a small flock of 6 leghorn hens. got them 2 mondays ago. laid 2 eggs on the way home. didnt lay for a week. finally got 1 egg wednesday, got 1yesterday and 2 today. i went out to feed, noticed that one hen has alot of poo on backside in feathers. any ideas on what or why ?

2. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Could be several things,first guess would be stress from relocating and change in diet. If it persists and takes on a whitish discharge look up information for vent gleet. Cut out treats and give her chicken feed only,see if it clears up. Occasionally this happens,usually they are fine in a day or two.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  3. lyssafulmerz

lyssafulmerz Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2013
    south western pa
    they have not had any treats. i only feed them dumor layer 16% crumbles. with a little bit of cracked corn mixed in. but im out of corn. so it just feed.

4. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Try Purina feeds, you will be pleased. And your hens will too.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Dumor feed is made by Purina, only a bit more powdery. Have you tried giving some probiotics or a small amount of yogurt with cultures? Buttermilk also has cultures and may help the gut bacteria. I have found that some hens do have messy bottoms, and some need to have the messy fluff trimmed occasionally. As TenChicks said, check to see that it isn't vent gleet, a fungal infection. Here is a link: http://www.tillysnest.com/2012/12/vent-gleet-prevention-and-treatment.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by