Poopy Eggs

Ascholten

Free Ranging
Dec 12, 2020
Jacksonville, FL
Recently a few of my chickens have been laying really poopy eggs. I do not think they have worms, I DE them anyways just to be sure, and I am not seeing any ill health symptoms or anything. I did change their feed a few weeks ago and they got some organic poofter stuff now because it was on sale.... can changing their feed cause them to have crap covered eggs?

What could be other causes of this and what should I be doing about it? Yes I understand, occasionally you get a dirty egg, but typically their eggs been pretty squeaky clean, until this last week. Just being cautious.

THank you
Aaron

I DE them anyways just to be sure
Lots of people on here say DE doesn't work. I couldn't tell you, I've never tried it.
I believe @aart knows about it?

What could be other causes of this and what should I be doing about it?
The "poop" on the eggs could also be mud. When it's rainy, the chickens step in mud then go to lay an egg, and the mud gets on the egg. I'm not sure what else it could be.

Since many say DE doesn't work, then maybe they do have worms?

I checked all of their butts, squeaky clean, yes I was wondering if there was caking or any issues, leading to flystrike or other problems. They are good down there.

Nest box is clean, I always make it a point to keep that clean, fresh shavings etc. it has been rainy crappy out so maybe they are stepping in the mud and it's getting on the egg? I'll move the coop over to a different patch where it's cleaner and see. I do move it about once a week, it only takes them a day or three tops to have it all tore up again so... there is that.

I have heard many say de works, others say it don't. Depends on the worm maybe? I figure it couldn't hurt, have had some with pale waddles when I first got them, gave them DE and that got better so I do feel it is helpful some bit.

I did take a turd fresh off the clipper, and busted it up stirred it in water to look for possible worms. Unless they are microscopic I did not see any wigglers in that.

Hoping maybe it's just mud. We'll see when I move them again.

Aaron

THe poop only became an issue a week or so ago, ill move the coop and head to the tsc and get some dewormer just to be on the safe side. Any recommendations which one I should get? Ivermectin or something else?

Aaron

THe poop only became an issue a week or so ago, ill move the coop and head to the tsc and get some dewormer just to be on the safe side. Any recommendations which one I should get? Ivermectin or something else?

Aaron
Safeguard liquid goat wormer will be your best bet. They usually have it at the TSC off New Kings Rd.
You can call them and see if they have it on the shelf, it's in a 125ml bottle.
The liquid goat wormer is orally to each chicken using a syringe without a needle. Dosage is 0.25ml per pound for 5 days.
The dosage for a 5 pound hen is 1.25ml orally for 5 days.
It's best to worm your birds early in the morning before your birds eat. The worms will be at their weakest.

Another wormer you can use if you get lucky and find it is Valbazen liquid cattle/sheep wormer. Dosage is 1/2ml given orally to each chicken using a syringe without needle, then repeat again in 10 days. It comes in a 500ml bottle and costs about $48. It usually has a 2 year expiration date.

Back
Top Bottom