poopy eggs

mychickens

Songster
10 Years
Sep 8, 2009
Eastern Shore, MD
Hi, I am trying to have a hen hatch some eggs for me. I have her in a large dog crate so the others can't bother her. I am not sure if she is completely boody or not but my concern is that she has been pooping on the eggs. She has room to get up from the nest. Does this mean she is not broody? I have wiped the eggs off with a dry towel and put them back, not sure if I should give her another batch of eggs or just let this play out.

Remove her from the nest once a day. Give her about 15-20 mins to handle business, then put her back. Some hens just don't get up. I have one like this, as long as I kick her off once a day her eggs stay clean. If the eggs aren't super dirty, they'll probably be fine. Good luck!

Thank you! I have read about people cleaning the eggs with warm water but that seems to be for an incubator. I was afraid to wet them. I guess I will candel them in a few days to see whats going on. Thanks!

Thank you! I have read about people cleaning the eggs with warm water but that seems to be for an incubator. I was afraid to wet them. I guess I will candel them in a few days to see whats going on. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom