poopy fuzzy butts

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by DirtCreature, Sep 15, 2011.

1. DirtCreature

DirtCreature Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Olympia, Washington
    what do i do about poopy fuzzy butts? can i just wash them off or cut um'? thanks. M~

2. shellybean40

shellybean40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    as a fellow BYC member once said " give them a Butticure" I trim the feathers away, and the poopy issues are much less.

3. yankeedoodle300

yankeedoodle300 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Chicken Heaven
    Quote:I go with you, shellybean40

4. Uniontown Poultry

Uniontown Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

One of our members swears by a healthy sprinkle of chick grit on the starter - said it prevents pastybottom disease. I tried it and it seemed to work. I was happy about that, as I have given MANY a Butticure in my time! I even have special scissors for it (embroidery scissors!). Chick grit certainly can't hurt. In adult chickies I just make sure I put some apple cider vinegar in the water & it helps keep butt feathers nice and clean. Don't know how or why it works. I'm sure there's an ACV thread here that talks all about that.

5. DirtCreature

Aug 8, 2011
    Olympia, Washington
    thanks everyone. my girls are about 7 months old and a couple need some butt help! [​IMG] does anyone also know where maybe there might be a video on how to do it or be able to tell me. ive never cut my chickens feathers before and idk how to do it or want to hurt them. thanks again. [​IMG]

6. nuchickontheblock

nuchickontheblock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    south portland, maine
    I give my poopy girls a bath with some dawn detergent in the water - swish them up and down and kind of rub their bottoms gently to get off as much as I can, ( I wear vinyl gloves) rinse well in another container and pat dry. Then I wrap a towel around their wings, turn them over and use a small scissors. I usually cut a little bit of their feathers at a time. I don't want to cut too close to the skin at first - as I don't want to cut them.

Then it's treats and cuddles! And they usually run off to take a dirt bath. [​IMG]

7. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    Quote:That is what I would do. "A dust bath, really, seriously, really" is what I would be saying too.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  8. Uniontown Poultry

Uniontown Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

The problem parts of the feathers in a poopy-butt situation are usually the parts furthest from the body, which is good. Sometimes if you cut too close to the skin, the snipped-off feather quill will bleed. It stops quickly & isn't much to worry about, but it does happen. Of course, for poopy-butt you usually don't have to cut that close to the skin - an inch or less would probably be enough. A bath works well, but can be time-consuming if you have a buncha birds. Some birds adore it, think it's a real treat. Most birds tolerate it well, while a few might find ways to show their disapproval. As a preventative, at 7 months I'd recommend putting apple cider vinegar in their water... did wonders for my Delaware's dirty bum. [​IMG]

9. HoneyNBenNKids

HoneyNBenNKids Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011
    Our first babes I dipped each bum in warm water, swished 'em, rinsed 'em and dried them.

A few I peeled the feathers off on accident thinking it'd softened up...but...well they have little pink bums like a baboon! So careful or you'll be mooned! [​IMG]

As big boys n girls we've had no problems and they have kombucha in their water unless I run out then its acv. I also give them D.E. to bathe in.

~Honey

10. DirtCreature

Aug 8, 2011
    Olympia, Washington
    thanks everyone. I will be sure to update on the craziness of our first "bathing a chicken" experience im sure it will be amusing, and im going to wait until my 5 yo gets home from school and make him help.. LOL [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by