Poopy gold- anyone use duck water as fertilizer?

Lilki

Chirping
May 9, 2016
I know that straight chicken poop can be too hot for plants.. So I've started using my duck water as fertilizer. Some of my plants seem to go NUTS for it, particularly the Friendship Sage (salvia) I planted for the hummingbirds. It makes sense that the nitrogen loving plants would appreciate the poop. Other plants aren't so happy with it, though I've since read they like unfertile soil.

There must be others who've tried this. What are your results? Have you found particular plants that love/ hate it?

I started doing this last year with our first ducks. Each time I cleaned out their pool, the dirty duck water went straight onto my veggie beds. Also too, instead of putting their soiled bedding into compost heap, I just used it to top off the mulch around the beds. No loss of nutrients, it all goes straight into the veggies!

The rule of thumb I've read with using duck water and bedding, just don't pour it over edible parts. Things like root veggies carrots, potatoes and beets, stop using the duck water around a month(?) before harvest, so there's less a risk of poopy bacteria on something that'll be eaten.

I've been pretty pleased with the use so far!

I watered tomatoes, peppers, squash, basil, and sweet potatoes with duck pool water and had good results. Maybe it was a little too good with some of the sweet potatoes!

Too bad we can't bottle and sell it!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom