Poopy Muddy Water and eggs

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by his4ever, Jul 29, 2013.

1. his4ever

his4ever Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2011
    So, two days ago, we had a massive downpour of rain that flooded pretty much everywhere, even my chicken coop. When I finally got the chance to go out there and let my chooks out, I noticed their watering buckets still had water and it dawned on me that they drank the water from the muddy puddles in the chicken run. Now all that to say, the run has been in operation for about two years. Who knows how much poop is in that soil.

My biggest question.... are the eggs still safe to eat after they drank that water??

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I would sure think they are still safe to eat. Although my chickens have constant access to fresh clean water, they sample out of mud puddles, poopy puddles...everywhere - and I always eat the eggs with no problems.

3. Tamara119

Tamara119 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2012
    Bariloche, Patagonia
    Same here, I keep their water bowls clean and full, and they still drink out of the nastiest puddles. Go figure. No worries about the eggs. They're always eating stuff on the ground and getting into muck anyways, so their systems are used to it.

4. his4ever

his4ever Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2011
    Thank you so much! I just wanted to make sure. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by