1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Poopy rear end

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mrwoodboat, Feb 20, 2014.

1. mrwoodboat

mrwoodboat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2012
    SO maybe this has been covered but didn't find anything under this title search...I have a RIR hen age unknown, acts normal, eating fine, but today while in with them giving them their daily treat of broccoli and bread, I noticed she had poop all over her rear with some clear discharge..I brought her in and cleaned her up, dried her off and put her in a quarantine pen for the night.
    Should I give her a broad spectrum antibiotic in her water just to be safe? I lost my other RIR last month and she had the same type dirty rear before she expired....both RIR came to us about 1 1/2 yrs ago so I have no idea of their age- they were spotty layers at best so maybe it is just old age???
    Thanks for any advice or help

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Diarrhea in chickens can be harmless when a chicken has drank a lot of water, had a caecal poop, or just too many feathers in the way, but it can also mean coccidiosis, worms, enteritis, egg yolk peritonitis, or a ton of other bad things. A picture of a normal poop or a good discription might help. Also if she is eating/drinking, and general behavior is helpful.

3. mrwoodboat

Nov 25, 2012
    Her behavior seems to be normal- with 8 other chickens, not sure who's poop is who's but now that she is in quarantine I should be able to get a photo....we just recently (within the past 3 days) began to give them bread as a treat, wonder if that could be a contributing factor??

other than the other RIR who passed last month, all our birds have been in a closed environment (no new birds) and have been healthy, eating machines. So I was concerned when I saw her rear so messy....

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I have pretty healthy chickens, and always have a few that keep the messy rear ends. I trim off any dry poo and excess feathers, and inspect for any vent gleet periodically. Three days a week I put some chicken vitamin/probiotics mix into their water. I have heard that bread is not good to feed chickens except on the rare occasion. Here is a link to some of the normal and abnormal chicken poops: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/02/whats-scoop-on-chicken-poop-digestive.html

5. mrwoodboat

Nov 25, 2012
    I am thinking that the change in their diet is the culprit- going to stop feeding them bread and just stick to the veggies...

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It is best to give them 90% layer feed, then you can give 10% other things like greens, scratch, sunflower seeds, etc.

7. mrwoodboat

Nov 25, 2012
    Agreed- they get 16% layer pellets in the a.m., we give them greens and stuff in the p.m.....we were given a load of bread for our animals and were adding it in with the treats (a loaf between 8 chickens, 3 turkeys, 6 pheasants and 12 quail)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by