Poopy smelling eggs

kickinchicken

Songster
12 Years
Mar 23, 2010
Rhode Island
I rescued 3 seven-year-old hens. One isn't laying any longer, and two (a RIR and unknown Black & Red) lay one egg daily. The two that lay, their eggs are distinctly different in shape. So, the RIR is laying the poopy smelling eggs, I think. I wash the eggs just before using them and noted that the RIR eggs had a chicken poop smell to them. So, needless to say, I tossed them! What could be causing this smell? Is there something I can add to her diet to help her out?
I've had them about a week now and have been slowly adding more protein, via fish, to their diet, bought a Pecker Wrecker block to help cut down on feather picking (the non-laying hen was the victim of the feather picker)and have allowed them to free range all day to get them some necessary exercise. Before I took them in, they were confined to a filthy tiny run and poop covered coop. They must feel like they are in heaven with me!

I am too new to help out, I am eagerly awaiting my first eggs...I hope someone can help you out, and bless you for helping those 3...they must feel like they are in a different world...yeah for you!

yippiechickie.gif

You can add some oyster shell and just start with some good quality table scraps in addition to her layer feed. Kind of odd but I imagine if she has thin shells and a poor diet the bad odors could be absorbed? I hope the problem rectifies itself soon!

Well thats the odd thing. The shells are nice and thick and they've had oyster shell for at least 2 weeks ( I set them up with proper food, water and oyster shells a week before I took them home) Could it be that she is old and this is why her eggs smell? Its just such an odd thing.

Back
Top Bottom