POOPY WATER

theblondeangler

In the Brooder
Jul 31, 2017
Connecticut
I have a 7 gallon galvanized water fount and the chickens perch on it and poop on it and in their water. I love the fount but I need something to put on top of it so they can't perch and poop all over it. Anyone have this problem and come up with a solution?

Been there! Lol nothing like filling up a huge tub of water, just to have a chicken poop in it a minute later :D I put a chair over the gallon fount, so they sit & poop on the chair instead of in the water. Their giant fount is positioned under the ladder, so they can't sit on it. They don't roost on this particular ladder, it's for nest box access. It still gets a little mucky, but they can't aim them right into the fount like they used to. Good luck!

I found the Little Giant automatic water feeder with cover to be a nice product, but had to move it from the coop as they were able to knock the cover off it coming off their roosts. Other than that it has been doing a great job I do have to shield it fro the sun or it grows green.

I've heard of people hanging something above the waterer, like a 2 liter soda bottle or a 1 gallon milk jug. I use a horizontal nipple waterer.

Back
Top Bottom