poopy water?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by outdoor junkie, Apr 20, 2011.

1. outdoor junkie

outdoor junkie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2011
    Flushing
    The little buggers are constantly pooping in the water. I change it every morning but by the time I get home in the evening it has poop in it. Will it harm them to drink this poop shake during the day? Maybe I need to come up wit ha new system.

2. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    this is what do for my chicks in the brooder.

If you are using the little circular jar type waterers? I take a 2x6 and cut it into 2x6 squares. I start to stack these on top of one another until they are at least 3 high. Starting with one and so one as the chicks grow. This also works well with the feeders. By the time they get three high you can switch them to a nipple type waterer.

Or you can start them right off with the nipple waterers if your brooder is set up for such a system.

Folks one thing to keep in mind. Even though the jars may appear clean they get slimy inside and need to be "thoroughly" cleaned with soap and water.

Hope this helps

Rancher

3. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    I don't know your set-up, but when mine are chicks I elevate their waterer on a brick. Seems to keep the poop out of the water. I don't think a little will hurt, but I would change as often as possible and keep it as clean as you can.

4. emsdial911

emsdial911 Chillin' With My Peeps

Like everyone said put it on a block and raise it or I hang mine.

5. chickensinwasillaAK

chickensinwasillaAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Wasilla Alaska
    One thing I've noticed is they put a foot in the water to drink, then the poop falls in. Place some marbles in the water area, they don't like to stand on them. It's not 100%, you always get one that will do it anyway. It also keeps them from falling asleep and falling into the water and drowning.

6. caspernc

caspernc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Z town NC
    Yeah I clean my birds water twice daily because of poo, but if poo was going to kill them all mine would have died weeks ago. No I do not believe it is good for them but jeese. I have it hung now but one little crafty chick that I think my be a game cross altho it came from a hatcherie still sits on top of the waterer and poo's in it.

7. frizzleman74

frizzleman74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Fairfield County
    elevate the waterer a little bit...it is necessary that you clean the water out a couple times a day but elevating it just so they can drink out of it will reduce bedding and poop from making the water even dirtier!

8. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    Or you can purchase a rabbit bottle waterer, the type with the tube and ball to drink from. My chicks take to it for the first day and then I transition them to the nipple waterers in the big girl coop when they move outside. Never have dirty water again!

9. TN_BIRD

TN_BIRD Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Quote:What does your waterer look like?

Are they roosting on top of it, or are they simply standing near it when they poop?

If they are roosting on top of it, you can try putting a funnel on top of the waterer so they can roost (can also make anti-bird spikes out of chopsticks or pieces of coat hangers n attach them with tape or rubber bands)

If the waterer is on the ground, consider raising it up by hanging it or putting it on bricks or boards.

And then there are those watering nipples.

10. trilyn

trilyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    East Syracuse
    quote=TN_BIRD]
    Quote:What does your waterer look like?

Are they roosting on top of it, or are they simply standing near it when they poop?

If they are roosting on top of it, you can try putting a funnel on top of the waterer so they can roost (can also make anti-bird spikes out of chopsticks or pieces of coat hangers n attach them with tape or rubber bands)

If the waterer is on the ground, consider raising it up by hanging it or putting it on bricks or boards.

And then there are those watering nipples.[/quote]

There sure are!!! If you want to check my byc page for details....you won't be sorry!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by