Poopy yard and kids going barefoot??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Hutsonchicks, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Hutsonchicks

Hutsonchicks New Egg

Mar 8, 2015
    Hey- we bought our first flock of baby chicks over the weekend and things are going well so far! We're excited about this new part of our lives.

What are you thoughts on our 7 hens pooping in our grassy 1/2 acre and kids playing baefoot in the grass? Big problem? Toxic? The hens will be in and out of the coop (when it is time) during the day so i don't know how much of a problem it will be.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

2. iawoodchip

iawoodchip Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2014
    Cedar Rapids, Ia. area
    Didn't kill me when I was a kid 65 or 70 years ago. Come to think about it I stepped on a few last summer.

1 person likes this.
  3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Unless your chicks are carrying disease, there are no bad germs in chick poop.

It's far more dangerous for your kids to go barefoot on a city sidewalk than on your grass, chicken poop or not.

2 people like this.
  4. song of joy

song of joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    We have this scenario at home . . . 6-10 hens at any one time free-ranging in the yard and surrounding field. Poop in various locations throughout yard (and on the back porch!). We don't go barefoot anymore, and we typically take our shoes off in the mudroom as it would not be pretty . . . or sanitary . . . to track in chicken poop.

5. Heidi T

Heidi T Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2013
    You learn to watch where you step. Or invest in poop shoes.

6. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    When your chicks come to two-weeks old, during nice weather they can come out of the brooder to play on that nice grass on your half acre with your kids.

Yes, they still need the heat lamp, but if it's high 60s and no strong breeze, they can be away from the heat lamp for a short while, long enough to run and play and flex their tiny wings.

Take them out in a pet carrier from their brooder, leave the carrier on the grass with the door open, and they will begin poking their heads out, and soon one brave one will venture out, the others following soon. When they get chilled, they automatically return to the carrier, and you then return them to the brooder and the heat lamp.

Fool proof! And fun!

1 person likes this.
  7. ORChickFam

ORChickFam Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    This is our first time with chickens and our kids running around with them this summer. Personally I'd rather they step in chicken poop than the dog's poop! Less smell, doesn't smoosh between toes and doesn't make a huge mess in the grass. Plus easier to wash away with the hose.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by