Poopybutt Betty

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chikk, Dec 28, 2014.

1. Chikk

Chikk Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2014
    Betty has a bad case of dingleberry. I was hoping that would self-correct, but it hasn't so maybe I should give her a bath. Ugh!
    It's freezing out, so I suppose she'll need a blow-dry too.
    Any helpful hints?

[​IMG]

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Have you considered mostly clipping the feathers around her vent to make the clean up easier, especially if she is prone to it for one reason or another. I know they look funny if you do that sometimes but if you can get rid of the dingleberries mostly that way you may not even have to bath her.

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Are the feathers around her vent wet with feces? If so, I'm guessing she has vent gleet, which is a thrush, or yeast infection of the digestive tract. I'd suggest that you give her yogurt and fermented feed to help her balance her gut flora.

4. Chikk

Chikk Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2014
    I wondered about clipping the feathers. I may try that next time.
    I gave her a bath and a blow dry. It went pretty well; not as chaotic as I feared it might be. She stood still for the blow dry- it sure took a long time. I think I got all the poo off. I hope that does it.
    Thanks for your input.

5. Chikk

Chikk Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2014
    It was a big ol' lump of poo that kept getting bigger. Not sure if it was wet; it was hard to see and I wore latex gloves. I'll keep an eye out for signs of gleet. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to give some yogurt, either way. I've never heard of fermented feed- is it something you buy or make? I'll read up on it. Thank you-
    I'm wondering if she's sleeping on the roost- maybe she sleeps in the box and that's why the pooball forms.

6. Chikk

Chikk Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2014
    By the way, Betty laid her first egg on December first and gives us an egg almost every day. Wilma's green eggs are harder to come by. She laid some without shells or with soft shells for a week or more, but she's back to hard shells now, 2 days in a row.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by