Poor Baby Chickens

chickendoodle

In the Brooder
12 Years
Aug 20, 2007
Beaufort S.C.
I thought I would have ten baby's live for ever, but this morning I found 2 gone when I went to feed and water everyone.The rest are still doing well and very happy to see me.They are 2 weeks old.So we had the early morning blues but are happy the rest are doing fine

So sorry! What happened? Did they die or disappear?

Again, so sorry.

sad.png

Had they been ill or showing any symptoms? If ill, all could be sick. Had they been eating and drinking and if so, what? Babies need food and water available 24/7 - they eat non-stop. I also feed mine all sorts of good foods like shredded cheese, chopped up lettuce, veggies, fruits, and oats in addition to chick feed with vitamins in their water. I'm not an expert but I don't think it's "normal" for 2 seemingly healthy 2-week old baby chicks to be found dead - unless predator attack but it doesn't sound like that's what happened?

Watch the others closely for signs of illness.

I will watch them.They have food and water 24/7.And everything else they need.The rest are eating drinking and running around we had some bad weather last night and it rained really hard.There was one corner of there coop that was wet and that is where I found the two we lost.That problem was taken care of first thing.

Are they being raised by the mama and in with the rest of flock? If so, daddy or other hens or even mama can/will kill the babies.

my 4 chicks are being raised by mommas in with Mario and the other girls. No one seems to mind... The peeps are now 6 - 7 days old and seem quite active and healthy.... but they also still sleep under mommas wings.

Am I just lucky?

I'm SO sorry to hear about your peeps... I hope the rest will thrive!

Last edited:
Mother hen is with them tonight.We are getting more rain but I think they will stay close to her.And I just put a piece of tarp over one end to be sure they don't get wet.I had a one corner where I found them that was wet and fixed it this a.m.,but the tarp is just in case.

Back
Top Bottom