Poor baby ducks ;(

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BarredRockGirls, Mar 14, 2013.

1. BarredRockGirls

BarredRockGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Ohio
    [​IMG]

I'm new to ducks n all BUT I'm not stupid ok lol
    My son and I walked into our local TSC to get some stuff for our chicks and see if they had any Pekins ...
    ^ that is what I found. Shivering lil mallards completely soaked , barely moving around, u can see the heat lamp wasn't even pointed down into the tub an the bedding is beyond in need of a change. They also had no food. What is in their feeder is pine shavings and dust. .
    I was appalled! It took me 15 mins to find anyone and when I did I tried to explain how this wasn't right .. I was told they were fine or " fine I guess the just can't have food and water " I calmly stated nooo and explained the heat light issue . The guy who OBVIOUSLY had better things to do grumbled stuff I didn't make out. But fixed it then disappears. I thought he was going to fill their food . No.
    SO I DID! Omg! What is wrong w ppl! I sat there watching them . They started to dry out and perk up after 20 mins and all but the other employees acted all annoyed that I was watching them. - the ducks.
    Why have animals in your store if your not or don't know how to take care of them . ? Poor things!
    I finally had to leave .. The bedding never did get changed but atleast they were warm when I left .

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Good for you, this is why I avoid TSC during "chick days" they got ducklings in early this year and I did not know and went for dog food, Just about the same as you described, poor babies had no food, I did flag someone down and ask about why they didn't have food and they did fill up the feeder. [​IMG] I will not go back till it's all over. too heart breaking.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  3. BarredRockGirls

Mar 6, 2013
    Ohio
    ive never been there during "chick days".. it is very heart breaking . ud think they could have someone there just to take care of the animals . but nooooo . jeesh . the chickens were over crowded but otherwise fine. ugh when they tried to tell me they were fine i was like really ? when YOU are shivering your FINE? ummm NO.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  4. bugglesmommy

bugglesmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Poor babies! I only went into a TSC once for the first time a few months ago. I normally use local feed stores that know how to care for animals.

5. countrygirl74

countrygirl74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2012
    Northern Arizona
    That is so sad... I think I will go into my local feed store when the ducks come in just to see. They have been great with the chickens! But this is a family-owned, small town business. Everything is always perfectly clean, plenty of food and water, heat lamps, etc. In fact, we went in the other day to get 1 Australorp and the check-out lady started questioning me since I was only getting one. Once I assured her that I have 9 more at home from the past few days of picking up other breeds, she was okay. But I was glad she did that! She is caring about the well-being of that one little chick being sold. I did notice that in the bantam brooder that one had pasty butt really bad, but as soon as I mentioned it, one of the girls got right on it and took care of the little guy.

6. Fentressfarmer

Fentressfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2013
    Fentress Texas
    I guess I should brag on the girls at the Lockhart TSC, the last time I was there one girl was telling another how to care for the chicks and told her to change the ducks water out every couple of hours to make sure it stayed clean. I informed them one of the troughs light was off and the girl ran to the chicks to get it back on. And when I say ran I mean ran not walked then came and told me thankyou for letting them know. Guess they have at least one girl who cares!!

7. BarredRockGirls

Mar 6, 2013
    Ohio
    awwwww !
    exactly how ppl should do it. see when i mentioned something i got sniped at! excuse me for caring! lol have a heart ppl!

8. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Our TSC can be pretty dismal in the care of chicks/ducklings too. I've only been in once this year since chick days started but I had to complain to get some care for the chicks. They had no food, at all, not even crumbs were left and they were frantically scratching and searching for something to eat. Their waterer had water in it but it was so packed with shavings that it had basically become a solid mass. I looked around, there was a worker manning the back desk, a couple people were working the floor. There was no reason on this earth why one of those people could not be assigned to check the chicks/ducklings every hour. Or maybe they were and it was just laziness or not caring, I don't know. I also spoke to the woman at the register and she seemed less then interested. Really ticks me off. I agree, it's not hard, they are living creatures, not shelf stock, either do it right or don't sell them! Our local feed stores do a much better job, their chicks are always fed, watered, clean and warm.

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Maybe some emails to corporate TSC might be in order.

10. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    I got 2 Mallards from our local TSC, they looked fine. it was the Pekins that were being neglected. They had used the pine pellets for bedding, which I soon found out do not work well for ducks...anyway they were all huddled together in a stinky filthy mess of their own filth and dirty water. We got 4..and I understand why it would be so hard to keep a brooder with 40 or so Pekins clean, but at least try...don't just say oh well and walk off. One of my friends was appalled by the conditions some of the chicks were in...they were too cramped and pecking each other pretty badly. I got a leghorn that had a big pecked spot on one of it's wings. It's almost healed now though and everyone is doing great. TSC employees aren't really schooled on what to do with and for the babies. Which is terrible. I mean jeez, why not put one person in charge of brooder care for that time of year? Heck, I would do it cheap.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by