Poor baby...My Silkie...WHYYYYY......UPDATE

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ol'FashionHen, Dec 12, 2008.

1. Ol'FashionHen

Ol'FashionHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2008
    The South
    [​IMG], When I got home from work yesturdy my silkie roo Chester was outside, it was cold out, he should not have come out? For some reason if it is above 33 degrees they think the trap door should be open for their conveinence even if it is just to peek outside. Upon futher inspection as I got closer Chester was dirty and I'm sure it was my EE roo Frankie that yanked out his beautiful top knot feathers [​IMG]. So I brung the poor fella in and gave him a bath cleaned his bloody 'lil' noggin put on some neosporin on it and let him rest. He slept and rested all night no peep out of him.
    He is not interested in eating at all and will only drink if I dip his beak in the water he sounds kinda rattily when he drinks and smacks his mouth alot ( I have never really absurbed how my silkies sound when they drink so I don't know if that is normal [​IMG] ). I turned the big light on this morning and he woke right up crowing, preening himself, but still not interested in food or water, I did put some terrimyicin in his water just in case he was catching cold from being in the cold weather (with no hat on). I guess he was roughed up and is still sore and doesn't want to move a whole lot just stand and preen and crow. I think he will be all right, but my hubby thinks I should put his lovely lady wife with him in hopes that he will eat and drink with her, perhaps he is lonely and depressed without his only friend. Do y'all think it would be okay to put them together or just bring her in to get him to eat and drink then take her back out [​IMG] I noticed she is lonely without him too.. or should I keep him away from her until he gets to movin' more and eatin' and drinkin' on his own. I need some help please I have never had any chicken brutality in my flock before now. These roos have grown up together ?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2008
  2. christmaschicken

christmaschicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    Christmas, Florida
    I would most certainly put them together as long as you are positive he does not sound like he is really coming down with something keep them toghether and I am guessing though she would be getting the antibiotics as well if she is eating and drinking with him.

Is she a layer you would not be able to keep the eggs for eating if she gets the antibiotics as well.

Can anyone else offer any advice am I way off on that?

Maybe you can IM the Moderator she has wonderful advice???

3. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    If it were me, I'd probably put his hen in with him. And then maybe build them a seperate small coop if he's going to battle the other rooster.

Also, I'd make him a treat food, like warm oatmeal, to encourage him to eat.

4. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

aweeeeee [​IMG] poor little guy... I'm so sorry he got picked on and lost his little fluffy [​IMG]

[​IMG] and prayers he gets better soon

5. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    Poor baby.

6. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    He's probably feeling sore, depressed, and just a little humiliated. I've seen roos get depressed when they've been kicked a few rungs down the ladder. Put his lady in with him, and he should perk up some. It gives him company and boosts his poor battered ego some. [​IMG]

7. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    I have heard from several silkie owners who say that silkies are likely to get picked on by other breeds. Can you keep them away from the EEs?

8. antiquebuff

antiquebuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Franklin, NC
    Put his girl back with him and make a run just for silkies. I cannot let mine run with other chickens. They will be fine then suddenly a fight will break out so I let my silkies free range a couple of hours and they go back to the house and run and I let the others out. Completely separate! Good luck with the little guy!

9. Ol'FashionHen

Ol'FashionHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2008
    The South
    Oh thanks for the love and prayers guys, I just love y'all [​IMG]. My DH keeps telling me we don't need another coop just for two silkies, I tell him they are too sweet to be with the others. They all have been co-inhabitating for....goodness since the 4th of July weekend they were all around 5-8 weeks in age and never a problem before. My DH will NOT admit it because he is a manly man ya know, but the silkies are his favorite and he says we need to cull the EE roo and put the silkie roo back in there and I will still have one roo. [​IMG] , I would prefer to keep my EE roo, my DH just doesn't like how the EE roo is bossy and is always chasing the girls around (he thiks he should be a gentleman about the ladies), he is a young roo. I do enjoy watching him do a dance around Bernedette to woo her, she looks at him like "whatever" (on her high horse) [​IMG]. I believe when I get home I will put his wife with him. She is laying she just recently started laying so I will need to figure if he really needs the meds or not, would a terrimyicin shot be better than giving it to him in the water?

10. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    I wouldn't give antibiotic unless you are very sure he's ill. If he's just wounded, put some apple cider vinegar in his water (just a little). Then some treats, clean & medicated wounds (Don't use the neosporin with numbing stuff in it), and female company should be all he needs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by