Poor Baby

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Maureen&chickens, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Maureen&chickens

Maureen&chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Townsend
    We decided to get some more hens to round out our flock so we ordered 9 chicks from My Pet Chicken. I let each of my 4 kids pick a breed as we were getting an assortment. Unfortunately on Monday morning we were contacted and told that breed my daughter chose was no longer available. She picked a white Sultan as her second choice. Everyone arrived safely on Wednesday and the kids were thrilled with the chicks. We ventured outside with them briefly yesterday and the chicks had a great time scratching at the grass and eating bugs with the exception of Dixie the Sultan. She spent the time curled in my daughter's hand sleeping. All of the chicks were tired when they went back in the brooder and immediately went to sleep as far away from the heat lamp as they could get. I decided they were probably too hot and raised it a bit so the temperature was about 85 degrees. I checked on them a few times before bed and everyone seemed okay. This morning I awoke to find Dixie dead in the corner of the brooder flat on her stomach. My daughter is devastated that her poor baby only lived 3 days. I'm wondering if I did something wrong that caused her demise. She was the smallest of the bunch, maybe she got too cold overnight? Or perhaps she was sick and I didn't know it. Everyone else seems okay. Thoughts?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    This does happen sometimes with chicks, and you never really know why. I think they are maybe born with some type of internal defect, and they just can't survive.

Hugs to you and the kids,

Sharon

3. 3rocksandme

3rocksandme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2010
    Brookline, NH
    I just ordered day olds from my pet chicken and the same thing happened to us. We had an EE who was alive but not very active at all. She seemed kind of sleepy. 3 days later she was dead. We never took ours out of the brooder during that time period. Everyone else is doing well. I haven't noticed anyone else sick from the batch we got from them. We are still keeping them apart from the rest of our birds.

4. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    So sorry to hear about Dixie. I'm sure you didn't do anything wrong though. You said she slept in your daughter's hand while all the other chicks were playing, so it sounds like there was a problem with her as that isn't the behavior one would expect of a baby chick.
    If you haven't already, be sure to contact MyPetChicken as they will want to know about this loss. Their customer service is WONDERFUL at MyPetChicken.

5. Maureen&chickens

Maureen&chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Townsend
    Thank you all for the encouragement. I thought her behavior was off and that it probably wasn't something I did but I've never had chicks this young so I wanted to check. I did call My Pet Chicken and they were wonderful. Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by