Poor Bantam Hen Attacked by About 5 Standard Cockerels/Roosters

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DrinkTheRainbow, Jan 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrinkTheRainbow

DrinkTheRainbow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Altoona, Wisconsin
    Hello,

I was in the coop trying to hold this beautiful hen of mine, but she was kinda wild so she jumped down from the top of the nest boxes while clucking then she was chased into this cage by the 5 and raped. I didn't know what to do and it was kinda too late because she was just lying in the cage. I couldn't believe it that I caused an attack that nearly killed her. I gently took her out and she had all this random poop smeared on her and a little bit of thick blood was coming out of one of her eyes. I set her back on the box and just felt bad for her that I caused this for her. After that this "softer" and "nicer" bantam rooster sat by her and slept together. There almost was another attack but I saved the pullet by quickly yanking off the main BO Cockerel. Sadly our flock is mainly roosters so happily we will be stocking up on food to save money. We also have a lot of frostbite on combs and wattles now. Any tips?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2011
  2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Yes, heres a tip. Butcher fast! It'll keep happening. Too many roos per hens can kill hens. [​IMG]

3. DrinkTheRainbow

Jan 1, 2011
    Altoona, Wisconsin
    Thank you! At first I was like onoz no more butchering! But now I'm like hurt my hen and I'll hurt you!!! [​IMG] Orange: Me. Blue: Creature that hurt my hen/pullet.

4. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

[​IMG] Gotta do what ya gotta do! [​IMG]

5. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    Freezer time!

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Here's a tip get the bantam hens away from the roosters before they are killed or injured. That's just common sense.

7. DrinkTheRainbow

Jan 1, 2011
    Altoona, Wisconsin
    [​IMG] Fresh meat...

Turn Off: Helping butcher and pluck feathers... [​IMG]

Turn On: Fresh meat....yummy...[​IMG]

So will she be ok because she's just sitting there with closed eyes. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    She may have been physically injured already. Do not leave her where the standard roosters can get at her or they will kill her for sure.

9. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:get her out of there and put her away from them until you butcher those roos-they WILL kill her. Put her in a dog crate-a box with room to walk eat and drink-tucker tote??? something away from them! this way you can watch her closely too she may be more hurt than you think as LF roos should not be hopping on the bantams to big!!!! Good luck and get your gloves ready for plucking ASAP! [​IMG]

10. AlabamaChickenLady

AlabamaChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2011
    Oak Grove, Alabama
    I've gotta agree.... GET HER OUT OF THERE!! They will keep doing it until she's dead for sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by