Poor Bertha, what to do? - pic

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ecocheapomom, Dec 13, 2009.

1. ecocheapomom

ecocheapomom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Per some advice on here, I have my favorite girl, Bertha, seperated from the flock right now, but in with a buddy in our garage. Bertha is definitely the low rung chicken and has been getting pecked on her back by her tail feathers for a while. It seemed to be getting better until yesterday when I found her bleeding from two broken off feathers. She also has a spot that look like a large raised up nub where maybe a feather is trying to grow back in. Either way, she is not looking so good although she is eating well and seems to be happy. Th other chicken that I put in with her for company is not too thrilled about her new (but warmer) accomodations. We have put some antibiotic ointement on her bad spots and vaseline on her poor, frosty comb. What should I do about the broken off bit of feather that are still in her and what if that nub where a new feather looks to be coming in doesn't go anywhere? Any advice is surely appreciated.

[​IMG][/img]

2. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    she will need alittle extra Protein while growing new feathers, put antiboditic on the bad spots and keep her warm, until she heals.

[​IMG]

3. Plain Old Dee

Plain Old Dee Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2009
    Seminole, OK
    She should be fine with a little TLC. I think that "nub" is actually the oil gland, but I'm no expert.

4. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

I was thinking oil gland, too. She looks quite sore but should improve.
    I use wild bird suet to encourage feathercoat (hens are very glossy) in winter and to keep them warmer- nice calorie load. Your two hens might enjoy that! [​IMG]

5. ecocheapomom

ecocheapomom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Oil gland it is! Thank you. I checked the others today and, sure enough, they have a "nub" too. Bertha's was just the only one that was clearly visible. I put her previous roommate out because she was miserable and put in another chicken who looked to be taking Bertha's place at the bottom of the pecking order. They are both pretty content in their cushy gargae suite until it get to be about mid morning. Then Bertha starts freaking out until I take her out to the coop and set her down in the run. She literally runs to the nesting box, stays in there for about 5 mintues and then drops her egg. I then hang out in there for a few mintues to let her spend some time with the group before I take her back to the garage. I think I will have to keep her seperated for a while until her feathers start to grow back and cover the exposed skin.
    I will definitely try the suet! I was eyeing it today at the feed store, but wasn't sure if it was alright to give them. I picked up some cracked corn to scatter in the coop and run to hopefully give the grils something to peck at besides each other. I also bought some Blood Stop powder to sprinkle on her bleeding areas. Hopefully she will be on the mend soon. It has to be my favorite chicken, of course!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by