Poor broodie... I guess :)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cozycritters, May 19, 2009.

1. cozycritters

cozycritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    I have a hen who has been broody for a while-- she's sitting on muscovy eggs.

She came out this morning to eat, drink, etc, leaving my barred rock as a baby-sitter and my 8-ish week old goose FREAKED OUT! She chased my poor broodie around the backyard, pulling on her tail feathers and yelling at her. I guess she doesn't remember who the broodie is and strangers must be terminated!

And, honestly, I didn't feel too bad. My broody hen has been SO MEAN since she decided to set, she so deserved this. She's fine, under the watchful gaze of my one goose, and a little subdued...

2. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    Lol Poor broody. I guess it is like they say, what goes around, comes around. [​IMG]

3. momof247371

momof247371 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    I like the fact that my broody is extra grouchy, i know not one thing is gonna harm her eggs! just imagine when she hatches;)

4. cozycritters

Mar 4, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    Yeah, she's super-crabby. I sure hope something hatches!

I ran out there when I heard that she was out, to go get the eggs the other girls have been giving her, and she had left a baby-sitter in my barred-rock. [​IMG]

5. momof247371

Feb 18, 2009
    As long as the eggs are fertile she will hatch em;) Chickens are better incubators than we are;) If she is crabby now, she wont hesitate to bite when she hatches them;) Good luck, i hope she hatches out some reasons to be grouchy:)

6. cozycritters

Mar 4, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    My biggest concern with the hatching is that we've had a few days above and around 104 in the last two weeks... I'm sure its cooler in the coop, but...

7. momof247371

Feb 18, 2009
    No worries, it will prolly be cooler where she is at. Also she has her own built in thermometer, she will be able to regulate the temp... She knows what a safe temp is for her eggs;) Natural instinct..

8. cozycritters

Mar 4, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    I sure hope so! I want these 'scovies badly [​IMG]!

Is it evil of me that I can't wait to see Angry Chicken's face when 'her' babies take to the water????

9. momof247371

Feb 18, 2009
    That is freakin halarious! can you imagine the confusion and fuss! lol, youd better hope she doesnt go in after them! lol [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by