Poor Charlie and Dolores

CatieJ

In the Brooder
Jan 11, 2017
Hi Everybody - I have just joined BYC and am delighted to be in the group. I live in Northumberland UK. I have a flock of 9 Embden Geese and I have a problem with 2 as they have simply stopped walking. One is a 3 year old large (heavy) male the other is a 4 year old (light) female She tries to aid her walking by flying and using "tip toes" the other, Charlie, simply sits there - he is always pleased to see me - I hatched and hand reared him - he chuffles to me and honks, eats, drinks and sometimes prunes himself and shuffles about (backwards and in a very ungainly manner) but doesn't stand. When he tries too, he can't balance to go forward so goes backwards for a bit then collapses in a heap before regaining his composure again. They don't seem to be able to straighten their legs to take the weight! I have read some threads and will try the niacim and also check to see if his/her tendons have been misplaced on one/both legs (how would that happen??) They are normally on good pasture and were fine until I had to enclose them into stables because of the Avian Flu threat here in UK. They have been enclosed since 6th December and are all pretty fed up but in the main coping really well. Only 2 are not walking. I have wormed them (just in case) and can't think what else to do atm. Any ideas??

Welcome to BYC - sorry for your problem. Since this has happened after they were enclosed, I would guess it may be a deficiency of some sort that they were meeting by foraging. What are you feeding them? Niacin is a good idea, but I might suggest also providing a mineral and vitamin supplement. Good luck at resolving this problem.

Yes you may be right - I feed them Duck and |Goose Layers Pellets, a mixed feed which includes corn, peas and oats and other grain and also supplement them with a small amount of wheat during the winter. On top of that I shred lettuce, greens, kale, cauliflower, broccoli and celery as their fresh food daily. I hadn't thought of supplements because of the layers mix. I will certainly try a mineral and vitamin supplement. thanks for the suggestion :)

Last edited:
I'd recommend some vitamins and electrolytes in their drinking water. I've had some go down like this as well in the past. I separated them and hung a head of cabbage high enough that the had to stand to get it to encourage them to get up on their feet. Seemed to get over it in time, never did know what caused it.

I've spoken to the vets regarding the supplements and will start giving them these today. I had them in a bathtub yesterday and they both enjoyed being able to clean themselves properly and were using their legs well in the water. When you say it sorted itself in time can you remember roughly how long it took once they were on the supplements? (just as a ballpark figure so I have something to measure things by). Many thanks for the suggestions esp. the cabbage on a string. :)

It seemed like it was a while. Like 5-6 weeks or so. It seems like it takes geese a lot longer to recover that say chickens. I suppose because they are such large birds. You've got to be patient with geese I've learned over the years. Just when it seems like they aren't ever going to get better, the next day the up and going. Treats on a string is a great trick for any ailing bird. It keeps them occupied and moving.

Well I have started giving them 1/4 multivit each with all the added niacin, B's etc etc. Got cabbages to hang and other "treats" scattered around the stable. Fingers crossed that it all works eventually. Thanks for your input and I'll post up from time to time to let anyone interested know how they are getting along.One thing I have started to do is, ,instead of keeping them all secured in their separate stable areas, I am letting them mingle with all the doors open and just the main door closed so they can't get out. Certainly they seem to benefit from having the rest of the family going into see them - makes sense I suppose given that they are a flock bird.

Hiya Peoples - Just a fast update. **CHARLIE IS ON HIS FEET** When I went in to give breakfast - there he was, just standing in his bed - Legs were very straight and feet flat on the ground. He wasn't moving and I didn't encourage him to as I thought he is obviously just taking his time now. I have been giving him 1/4 multi-vit in a bit of bread every day now for 10 days so probably that is helping. Going to keep a good eye on his progress. Dolores is still not doing much (except for eating and drinking) definitely not standing although I have been giving her the same treatment as Charlie. I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and see how it goes. Many thanks for the suggestions on the supplements :) :)

Hiya Peoples - Just a fast update. **CHARLIE IS ON HIS FEET** When I went in to give breakfast - there he was, just standing in his bed - Legs were very straight and feet flat on the ground. He wasn't moving and I didn't encourage him to as I thought he is obviously just taking his time now. I have been giving him 1/4 multi-vit in a bit of bread every day now for 10 days so probably that is helping. Going to keep a good eye on his progress. Dolores is still not doing much (except for eating and drinking) definitely not standing although I have been giving her the same treatment as Charlie. I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and see how it goes. Many thanks for the suggestions on the supplements :) :)
improvement is improvement no matter how slow. Hope it keeps going for both of them.

Back
Top Bottom